Sunday 12 July 2015

10th July day 491

It was sunny outside and after a shower and bite to eat stu and i headed back into the city so i could pick up the trek again. As i reached the harbour where stu and i met i began to look around for a place to launch hoolley from. I wanted to save myself a long hike through the city and cut across the harbour to mount batton. I found a set of steps near to the bar we'd had a drink at but it would have been a difficult launch and even more difficult getting hoolley ready. There was also alot of water based traffic. Speed boats and ferries were coming and going so i decided that on this occasion a crossing would be simply out of the question. I had no choice but to follow the little acorn around and hike the additional miles.

It didn't take me too long to follow the path and the signs were easy to follow unlike my experience in Cardiff. Having reached mount batton i looked back at the city and across the bay towards the old fort built on a small island. It was time to move on once again although I'll admit i wouldn't mind coming back to Plymouth sometime in the future.

Again the hike was relatively easy going and pleasant. It didn't take long before i was away and out of sight of the city and back looking across the channel at open waters. I was now heading towards the river tamar.

Descending from the clifftop walk i could clearly see the river. It wasn't too wide but it was certainly too deep to walk across. Looking around I found a path that led to a small beach. Next to the beach was a secluded cottage. In front of the cottage I could see a couple laid out enjoying the sun.

" Is this beach private?" I enquired. "No. We only rented the cottage for a week. Its of no consequence to us" came the reply. Colin and nicki were from Dorset and had come to the village for a break. They were heading home the following day. Their dog seeing my pack began to bark so i took it off and went over to make friends.

We began to chat about the trek. Colin suggested the ferry a little further along could take me across so i explained that i wouldn't be using the ferry as no mechanical assistance was allowed. Nicki made me a coffee and showed me a picture of an adder she'd seen just behind the cottage while i began to get hoolley ready for a paddle. "I don't suppose we could row you across in the boat we've been given the use of with the cottage? " colin asked. I smiled. "Yes you can" i said explaining how I'd been rowed across a river before shortly after I'd stopped at shingle street in kent.

I packed hoolley away again and we all climbed into the little boat. Colin rowed, nicki navigated and i sat on the bow pushing other little boats out of the way as we reached a set of steps on the far side. Small gestures like this were for me what made the journey extra special.

After saying goodbye and pushing colin and nicki off i climbed the steps and hiked towards the Erme estuary. Cloud cover now cooled the air and it was easy going following the farmers track around the coast. Reaching the Erme estuary at a little after low tide i was able to simply make my way across the river towards a slipway. The river was only ankle deep with the tide out.

Reaching the other side i sat down on the slipway for a break and thanking my lucky stars that my timing had been perfect. It was now early evening and i needed to find water and a place to camp. I was about to head off when i met kate. Kate was camping on a small beach just around the corner and out of sight with her two kids, shaun and holly. They were there for a birthday party which was being held on another beach a little further down.

I asked if she knew where i could find a stream so i could top my bottles up. They'd brought with them a 5ltr bottle and offered some to me. I was then given a small rum followed by fresh vegetables, salad  and a chicken drumstick. It was beginning to get dark as we sat and chatted about a multitude of things so i decided I'd pitch up on the little beach and join their camp for the night.

With my tent up i began to hydrate my evening meal conscious i needed to eat as much as possible the others headed off to find the birthday party but soon returned announcing the tide had come in and we were isolated on our little sandy beach for the remainder of the night.

As the night rolled in and the rum and champagne guzzled kate said "I'm not entirely sure but i think my mind has been compromised". I was beginning to feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment