Wednesday 8 July 2015

7th July day 488

Although i only had a little over 300 miles to go and was eager to finish, i dreaded it. I'd have no money left and nowhere to stay. I'd have to start living a normal life again but i was nowhere near ready for that. I had no real plans  other than to start training for my next challenge and somehow find the money to make it happen. I also didn't want my journey to end, not yet, but i knew it would have to. Delaying the enevitable was futile.

It was sunny outside the tent so i went through my daily routine and set off towards Charlestown. Arriving at the harbour i was intrigued by three old sailing ships of different sizes. It must have been fantastic living aboard one while the world was discovered, hard work no doubt and I'm sure the crews often had little idea of the significance of their discoveries at the time.

I then continued on to par where i had to detour round the docks taking me along the road until I found the next little acorn that would point the way back to the cliffs and onto fowey. The wind had picked up significantly, blowing me from side to side. I cast my mind back to Scotland and the tornado strength gusts I'd experienced there. This was nothing in comparison. A mere breeze.

Arriving at fowey i headed down to a small beach, the wind had lifted and the waters calmed. I seized the opportunity and quickly readied hoolley for a crossing to Polruan. The paddle went well and i beached up on the other side with no dramas. The current was negligible if at all. Polruan is another ancient village built on steep hills with narrow streets and lined with several welcoming pubs.

Having packed hoolley away i ascended through the streets to the top of the cliffs and followed them away from the village and back amongst the fields and heath lands. The wind had now picked up again and as i turned to look back i could see a large band of rain heading my way. I continued with some haste ready to dive into my pack to get wet weather gear if i got caught.

The rain cloud was getting closer as i made my way round a small peninsula the winds force increased and the skies began to darken. Finding a hawthorn tree thick with foliage i decided to stop and wait, sheltered, for the rain to pass. Again poised to get my waterproofs on if the rain fell heavier than anticipated.

It only took a few minutes to pass so i set off again. The evening was now drawing in and as i looked ahead along the next piece scanning for signs of the coast path  i felt unsure if i would find many places to camp before nightfall. I'd once again have to be an opportunist and take what i could. Carrying on i continued to follow the path away from the peninsula and headed along the cliffs. After a mile or so i descended into a valley I'd seen. There was a waterfall with plenty of fresh clear water and a small grass covered flat topped pinnacle (for want of a better word ) standing between the cliff walls overlooking the beach. I surely wouldn't find anywhere more suitable ahead.

I decided to call it a day and continue on the following morning. I climbed up on to the pinnacle and pitched the tent. There was very little shelter from wind coming in off the sea but it was a lovely spot to pitch. I'd just begun to eat my evening meal, freeze dried chicken and noodles in a black bean sauce when it began to rain again. It was going to be another wet night.

No comments:

Post a Comment