Friday 3 July 2015

11th June day 462

My legs were beginning to  feel the stresses exerted on them and just getting to sleep at night was proving difficult. I had always known the last leg of the trip would be the most physically demanding but what had surprised me was how no matter how long I'd been hiking my body still always ached in the evening once I'd begun to relax.

Having packed up my kit i began the long and steep hike up from my valley retreat back to the cliffs and the coastline. As i made my way up  i could feel that the day would be groggy. It felt close, humid and hot. Eventually reaching the top I turned and began following the path the breeze of the sea air feeling refreshing.

The coastal path wasn't exactly level along from heddons mouth but it wasn't exactly challenging either although the path was precariously close to the edge.  That is until i reached the next valley. The skies had now cleared and the sun was shining hard. Before heading back down to sea level and tackling the enevitable climb up the far side i sat on my pack to remove a couple of layers and nibbled on a couple of wagonwheels I'd picked up the day before.

It was a steep descent to the bottom of the valley. Reaching the basin i stopped for a coffee and to make up the packet of super noodles dave had given me before leaving watchet. It was a welcome break before a very steep and long climb up the other side.

I followed path round and down to Coombe martin where i picked up the path on the far side of the bay and followed it towards Ilfracombe. Before reaching Ilfracombe though i had to climb what can only be described as a small mountain steps led from the bottom zigzagging their way to the top in amongst the trees. Reaching the top and feeling a little exhausted it was of some relief to see the path descend into the town next to the harbour.

As i walked towards the harbour to meet some of the crew from the lifeboat station i noticed a rather tall female statue holding aloft an enormous sword. This was verity. A sculpture depicting a pregnant women of which half the statue exposed the unborn child, veritys muscle structure complete with bones and all internal organs. It was really quite bizarre.

Arriving at the Ilfracombe lifeboat station i could see their new jet powered shannon class lifeboat in the newly extended boathouse. Meeting the crew was great but due to building works i was unable to get to the lifeboat and new tractor for a closer look. Being promised a good display of the launch and recovery procedures of the turntable tractor i decided to stop. Finding a local chippy i treated myself to a
chip bun and camped near the old lime kilns across from the harbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment