Monday 5 January 2015

24th-26th December

24th December day 294

It was Christmas eve. Never in my wildest dreams had I envisaged still being in the Highlands over Christmas, I'll be honest I couldn't think of anywhere better than to be staying with such fine company as iain. Our friendship had blossomed during the weeks I'd spent in Lochaline.

Waking up feeling much better than the previous day I was eager to get some fresh air so when iain suggested that we headed up into the hills to feed the deer I leapt at the chance. Once we'd arrived at the estate we climbed into the four wheel drive vehicle and loaded with deer feed we set off up the gravel tracks high above the glen. It was immediately apparent that the cold weather had effected these hardy beasts which had sought shelter from the cold in the lower parts of the hills. The weather throughout the Highlands was considerably more extreme than I had been prepared for and without the right kit I would surely have found myself in serious trouble.

25th December day 295

It was Christmas day, as I sat down for breakfast nipper was, as usual,  leading around with excitement, santa had also stopped by during the night leaving two nicely wrapped gifts on the table. The first gift was from nipper, a couple of packets of Scottish tablet and a packet of fudge. The second from iain, a small box of whisky flavoured tablet. Both extremely well thought gifts and enough sugar to keep me trekking for weeks.

Outside the weather was calm and the sun was out. Snow still capped the mountains but had melted lower down. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky. I was hopeful that the trend would continue long into the new year a mere week away.

Iain was keen for me to see a small cottage he often spent time at across the loch and along the coast. He'd told me stories of his time there and shown me photos.  To get there we would have to take iains rib. With the boat hitched up to the car we headed down to the Lochaline slipway and I stood back as the boat was launched.

On our way to the cottage iain took the helm and we made our way hugging the shore passing the different rock formations that made up the towering clifffaces and passed the ruins of an old castle. As we skirted across the calm waters iain filled my head with historic stories of people being shoved in barrels and thrown to the sea below, stories of a local staying in a cave to have a quiet dram away from the wife.

We passed a small rock with seals lazing in the sun and met a couple of porpoises before mooring up near the cottage set in an idyllic location adorned by a small woodland. Instantly I could see why iain Found this place so special,  it was quiet and out of the way with the only access being either by foot over the inhospitable hills behind or by boat. Once Iain had rowed us ashore in his small dingy we went in to the cottage, which had two rooms downstairs and two upstairs,  and had coffee with donuts before taking a lovely stroll along the shore.

First stop was to an extremely unique outside toilet. When I say outside I literally mean outside. With no walls obscuring the views the porcelain potty complete with flush sat among the bracken with perfect views across the beach as far as the eye could see. Richard Branson wasn't the only one who had a loo with a view. We then continued to what iain referred to as the point where he believed the vikings built and launched long boats.

Nipper was loving the wide open spaces and was running round like a lunatic although he didn't quite understand the rules of fetch. I'd throw a stick, he'd chase after it, bring it back then when I went to retrieve it for another round he'd run off, stick in mouth.

Arriving back a the cottage after our Christmas day walk iain asked me to write a little something about the experience in a journal he kept.

(Photos posted on Facebook)

Several pages, a coffee and a donut later I'd finished my little story of three intrepid explorers and it was time to head back to Lochaline.  This time I was at the helm and hugging the coast with its cliffs looming over us.

Safely back at the slipway I handed over the reigns and let iain land the boat and rehitch it to the trailer. That evening we sat down for a full on turkey roast with all the trimmings before retiring to the lounge to watch tv for the first time since I'd stopped there.

26th December day 296

Boxing day. I'm still not sure why its called boxing day but I'm sure one day I will. The weather was still pretty good although considerably colder than the day before. Clouds had filled the sky but there was very little breeze and the air felt dry. I was planning to head off back to the trek the following day which meant my time in Lochaline was drawing to an end. That is until I revisited sometime in the future to explore the area with iain in greater detail with climbing gear.

One of the things I'd really wanted to do while in Scotland was to wear a kilt and sporran. An odd ambition for an English man I admit but a way I figured I could truly emmerse myself into Scottish tradition. Once again iain was able to lend a hand. It took some adjustment,  my waistline being slightly smaller than iains but after some fiddling I was transformed from coastal trekker into deer stalker, braveheart (complete with antique sword) and later that day laird of the estate. Finding suitable locations around Lochaline we set off for a photo shoot finishing with a shot showing what a scot wears under his kilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment