Monday 5 January 2015

27th December ( day 297 )

It was a slow start to the day, iain and I had chatted long into the early hours of the morning. Exchanging stories, jokes and discussing the remaining 3000-odd miles of the challenge. As normal the breakfast stuff was laid out on the table and nipper was full of energy, leaping up at me as I entered the dining room on my way to the bathroom.

With everything packed and running a little behind schedule iain, nipper and myself jumped into the car so that I could be dropped off back at the corran ferry crossing where I'd left the trek some days before. On the way we stopped off in Strontian for a quick hot chocolate and slice of chocolate cake which had become a bit of a custom any time we happened to pass.

Once back where I'd left off it was time to say "until next time", again. I'd had a fantastic Christmas break and one that not only did I need but also one that I will remember for the rest of my life with a new friendship that I have no doubt will stand the test of time.

Leaving nipper and iain behind I set off along the road heading back towards the coastline. All around snow capped mountains towered above me. It felt great being back in the open air my lungs filling with every breath with the clean and crisp fresh Highland air. Somehow during my Christmas break I'd forgotten what it was like to be truly free. Free from the confines of brick and mortar. Free from the ties of everyday life wrapped up in buzz of modern life. My prime evil instincts were quickly returning and my determination to complete the challenge filled my heart and soul gaining strength with every footstep.

As I made my way I remembered the good times I'd had and chuckled at the bad, rough and extreme circumstances I'd endured. I was feeling alive.

Time passed quickly as did the miles. The sun began to set and the temperature began to bite. As the sky changed colour the white of the snow above changed to orange and salmon pink. It was a truly beautiful sunset a vision I'd missed and forgotten about.

Darkness soon enveloped my surroundings and eventually I had to stop to take my head torch out to light my way. I was beginning to feel hungry as I crossed the Skelton of a steel bridge passing an old memorial on the far side lit by two lanterns, candles flickering an orange glow against the grey stone, a warming sight.

It wasn't late and I wanted to continue but knew that I should make camp at the earliest opportunity. I passed a hotel and wondered what festive frolics were taking place inside. Next to the hotel was a large expanse of frosted trimmed grass. I could see small clumps of trees ideal for setting up my tarp and calling home for the night. Passing a small stream I headed towards the nearest copse and made camp. There was less frost on the ground among the trees than on the grass surrounding me. With my home erected I grabbed my empty bottles and went to collect fresh water, enough for a welcome evening meal, mug of hot chocolate and breakfast the following morning.

As I made my way back to my shelter I passed a small wooden sign. "4th tee" it was now apparent my home would be in the middle of a golf course.

No comments:

Post a Comment