Saturday 27 June 2015

26th June day 478

Unlike the previous days the morning was to start in quite a drab way. In one way i was a little disappointed but then on the other hand at least i wouldn't be overheating while i hiked. I closed the flap to my tent and set about making up my saucepan of mug o porridge and prepared myself for a wet day. When i reemerged from the tent a heavy mist had enveloped the area.

I climbed out and began to stow my kit away in my pack when a familiar pair of now duct taped boots appeared. "We meet again!" The voice called out. It was stuart. He'd managed to make temporary repairs on his worn boots and was hoping to get to penzance before the shops closed to buy a new pair. He didn't stop long and within seconds disappeared into the mist once more.

With everything packed i too headed into the unknown. Signs along the coastal path warned of severe cliff erosion and asked that walkers stayed on the path. In weather such as this i tended to agree. Unable to see the coast and at times unable to even see the path i did my best to continue on. I could hear the sea below which was comforting although at times had the overwhelming feeling i was in fact lost not actually following any path of any desernable nature.

Persevering i did eventually pickup the path again and eventually arrived at porthgwarra. As i headed through the tiny village i spotted a small building with a hand painted sign. It was the local cafe. Finally i would get a proper traditional cornish pasty. Ok so there was no indoor seating. I wasn't bothered about that. Then it began to rain,  again i simply wasn't bothered.

Heading off i realised that i must be nearing the famous goonhilly dish array. I remembered passing it when i was much younger. It was the place that sparked my early interest in the stars. The large dishes on the site where once used by seti (search for extra terrestrial intelligence). I wondered if i would see it from the coast.

As I continued to hike passed the minak outdoor theater which was built on cliffs but out of view from the coastal path the mist began to lift and the sun attempted to shine through. The path here was becoming considerably more challenging and to be honest in places, nail biting.

Nearly at mouse hole met Breach, an elderly woman out picking nettles for a nettle soup chomping on sorrel as she went. She was from America but was over in Cornwall visiting her 92 yr old blind and deaf mum and had picked sone wild honeysuckle as a gift. Breach was very much into wild foraging and the benefits of eating the foods our generation had forgotten.

Arriving in Penzance i stopped at a store and bought pre cooked bbq chicken pieces to add to my curry flavoured super rice for my evening meal. Rice on its own simply wasn't appealing. The thought of having the same mug o porridge again was also a little unappealing so i decided to get some chocolate to add to it a trick I'd picked up from martin. I wondered how he was doing.

The evening was drawing in now and i needed to find a spot to pitch up so decided to head to the far side where i hoped it would be quiet. The town was holding a large festival with music in the streets, a fair ground and plenty of drink flowing. Usually this would be the type of thing i would stop to enjoy but with limited funds and having hiked a fair way from lands end all i really wanted to do was eat dinner and relax. Moving through the crowds was a challenge trying not to knock anyone over with my huge pack. Most people had balance issues as it was.

I made it without incident and began hiking away from the hustle and bustle of the festival alongside the railway. Spotting a small grassy area in the dim light i decided i was far enough away from drunken youths to get a good nights sleep. I'd just set up camp and was preparing my culinary delight, improvised chicken curry,  when fireworks began to launch from the harbour opposite. Somehow it seemed appropriate considering I'd just started my final push along britains south coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment