Wednesday 3 June 2015

3rd June day 455

It was a hot sunny morning and a complete contrast to the previous few days. I was camped on a small piece of grass next to the coastal path. My goal for the day was to get as close to the Severn estuary as possible ready to cross over the border to England the following day.

Once again i found myself following the seawall towards Caldicot where the famous Severn bridge straddles the Severn estuary which not only has the second highest tide in the world but also the second highest tidal bore. A surfers dream. I surfed the bore back around 2010 when a record height was achieved an experience i will never forget.

It took a couple of hours hiking along the seawalls following the estuary back to the old Severn bridge (wye bridge) built in 1966. Before crossing i sat for a moment to reflect on my time in wales. It had passed surprisingly quickly and now i was to cross back into England for the last time. An estimated 817 miles remained.

It was a fantastic feeling crossing the bridge  although somewhat disappointing not seeing a welcome to England sign. It didn't matter though I had managed to walk the entire coastline of wales in a little over a month and a half which was really quite surprising. As i carried on i noticed that the road signs no longer had welsh translations and that house names were now easy to pronounce. Quite frankly i was buzzing.

Then I realised, there was something important about Chepstow. Yes it was officially the end of the welsh coastal path even though it  wasn't actually on the coast but there was something else. Then i remembered, joanne had sent me another box of supplies and she'd sent it to Chepstow which was now on the wrong side of the river Severn. I stopped. I had two choices either turn around and go back to wales and wait overnight somewhere near Chepstow or hope that somehow the box would magically find me somewhere on the English coast. It would mean at least an 8 or 9 mile return hike. My belief in magic grew so i decided to continue.

The sun was now setting and  the birds were chirping quietly. I was following a track that ran alongside the Severn estuary with a line of trees to my left. Behind them i could see a huge field with very long grass and although there was a fence between us someone had very kindly made a hole just large enough for me to throw my pack through. I obviously followed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment