Monday 23 February 2015

22nd February day 353

It was a miserable wet morning with a chill in the air when I woke. In fact it had been quite a cold night even fully dressed in the sleeping bag.

After packing away my kit i followed the coastal path through the castle grounds back towards the coast. A set of steps lead me to the beach below. The weather although only drizzle that morning with a slight breeze was slowly worsening. The tide was nicely out as i began my hike to maidens and although i hadn't planned to be in Girvan till the following day it looked like I'd be passing through later in the afternoon.

I was nearly at the maidens harbour when I noticed a figure heading towards me from the road. Craig, a member of the rnli crew, had been Facebook friends for several years and although we'd never actually met it felt like I'd known him for longer. Knowing that i was approaching Girvan he'd decided to hunt me down for breakfast. I'll be honest i couldn't believe my eyes when i realised who the stranger was and it took me a few seconds to work it out.

We stopped at a nearby cafe for a coffee and my second breakfast of the day not that I'd refuse free food under any circumstance. It was fantastic to finally meet him after so long and it dawned on me that although i knew where i was i didn't think I'd be quite as far as i was. If that makes sense.

After breakfast Craig gave me some local intel about the coast i was to cover over the following days and warned me about the force 9/10 weather front coming in. Leaving Craig i headed over the harbour wall only to be confronted with the tide which had now come in and was kissing the rocks of the shore, small cliffs covered with gorse was to now cause me a few problems.

I tried to get as far along the coastline as i could but this proved impossible so i decided,  wel had no choice but to climb a small cliff and push my way through the gorse onto the golf course on top. Here i was completely exposed, the wind was now blowing a gale and the rain hitting my face felt like a hundred jabbing needles. It was going to be a grueling hike to Girvan to meet up with Craig once again.

After walking the length of the golf course i headed down to the shore but the sand was extremely soft and the hike got harder. The streams were in spate and progress slowed to a crawl. If i wanted to get to Girvan that day I'd need to pick up the pace somehow so i decided to leave the beach along a track to hike the road a mere hundred or so yards away.

It was a little easier on the tarmac and arriving in Girvan proceeded to the rnli station in the harbour. Several if the crew were there to greet me and as normal i was immediately offered a coffee and biscuits. I was also given a key to the boathouse and told i could stop the night on one of the benches which was preferable to sleeping in the cold and wet especially with high winds predicted and a serious lack of trees to camp amongst.

After a bit the crew disappeared and i was left at the station to shower and make myself at home. Just as i was settling in i got a call from craig who'd managed to get me a meal at flynns boatyard a local bar and restaurant as well as a comfy bed in a local hotel not too far away. Under the rules of random acts of kindness i accepted both wholeheartedly.

After being picked up and taken to the hotel i was taken to a local bar to meet some more of the crew, drink beer and play pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment