Friday 6 February 2015

6th - 8th February


6th February day 337
It was a glorious sunny morning and the water was calm. I'd carried hoolley for some time now and today i felt like a paddle. Finding a good spot between some rocks to launch i got my pack raft out and got her ready for a leisurely ride to Tarbert.
Pack rafting  the coast provides a unique viewpoint of Britain's coastline and a view that very few people are privileged to see. Keeping close to land just incase something went wrong i gradually made my way with arran behind me.
Occasionally i saw oyster catchers sitting on rocks or flying low level above the shimmering water. As I glided along i could see deer grazing and as the rocks steepened the woodland elevated towards the heavens.
It would have been an interesting hike had i decided to go by land and certainly more strenuous. Further along the coast i came upon seal resting on a small island a short distance from the shore. As i approached their curiosity got the better of them and they slid down from there perches into the water to take a closer look.
Gradually the terrain became more formidable but with a few long strokes i soon passed it by. I was now beginning to wonder how much further i would have to paddle before i reached tarbert. Looking out to sea and across to the peninsula I'd have ti hike down a few days later i noticed a couple of fishing boats flying up towards Tarbert harbour, as they turned in and disappeared behind a headland a mile or so away from me i summized i was getting close. The tide had now turned and the water was becoming quite choppy. Fighting against the current of the outgoing tide i battled on and eventually made it round the headland.  Sure enough there was the harbour and although I'd hoped to carry on past it that day the elements were now against me so instead of crossing the mouth to the harbour i headed in towards it and pulled up onto the first beach i found.
7th February day 338
I'd had quite a hard few days and couldn't remember the last time I'd had a day off so i decided to take it easy and rest up. Moira managed the Victoria pub and hotel in the harbour. After being invited for a drink i ended up staying after hours and played drinking games with her and one of the bar maids. Finishing at 4am i was offered room 2 in the hotel to sleep. I don't really remember climbing the stairs but i know i didn't pass out in the bar after sinking a bottle of apple sourz with the girls.
8th February day 339
The following morning i woken by moiras mum stroking my brow, i felt rough. Moira had prepared breakfast which was particularly welcome. I'd met a norwegian called jan in campbeltown and he'd offered me the use of his boat which was moored in tarbert harbour. After breakfast i headed down to find the boat and decided to once again crash out and sleep off my hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment