Wednesday 25 February 2015

24 th February day 355

I was woken by a horrendous thunder clap, a storm was on its way. Led on a blanket of leaves I'd had quite a good nights rest but this was a rude awakening. As i waited for the heavens to open i boiled some water and had my breakfast and morning coffee. Just as i was finishing up it happened, the wind strength increased followed by a short but heavy shower of hail.

Quite happy to let it pass i stayed under the tarp and waited. Thankfully i only had to wait for a short time before Venturing out to begin packing away. It was obvious as i folded the tarp up that the day was going to prove tough, the wind coming from the south and i also knew i could expect more hail or at the very least showers.

Heading of towards Ballantrae i passed an unusual monument, a giant copper cross with steam ship surrounded by boulders. It was quite impressive to say the least. The weather was noe beginning to deteriorate and i was struck by intermittent hail showers and strong gusts.

Looking along the coast i could see the tide was on its way in and coupled with the strong winds and intermittent hail downpours i decided against Attempting to negotiate the shoreline instead opting for the safer road route. I was told that ahead of me somewhere was a cave that had once been occupied by a cannibal, sonny beans (or something like that). It was a cave i simply had to investigate.

Having hiked about a mile or so along the road i eventually came across a junction which had once been part of the main road from Ballantrae to Girvan. Cows now occupied the road and the fields that adjoined them. The tarmac road which at one time would have carried traffic was now ankle deep in sodden cow shit. It was not a pleasant experience trudging through but thankfully it wasn't to last. I continued to follow the old road as it brought me alongside but above the crashing waves on the rocks below.

As the road gradually descended i began to think I'd possibly passed the legendary cave. I could now see a long beach ahead and in the distance what guessed was Ballantrae. The beach looked like it was easy to cross so i headed down from the road to rejoin the coast feeling somewhat disappointed and convinced I'd missed the cave which i guessed must have been set into the cliffs I'd hiked over. As i began my way down some boulders towards the beach i noticed something to my left. It was a brick wall up against the cliffs. A doorway was showing, could it be the entrance to the cave. I had to go back and at least investigate.

Sure enough the doorway was the entrance to the cave dwelling. As i went in it opened up into a large cavern with another bricked up cave at the back. I'd been told a little about sawney bean (or however you spell it ), apparently he had four wives, a hundred children and he used to eat travellers. The cave didn't seem big enough to house everyone though. I was now beginning to think the stories were merely that, just stories. It was also possible also the cave I'd found was occupied by a hermit I'd also been told about. I wasn't sure but still found the cave interesting.

After having a good look round i decided to keep walking, Ballantrae was only a mile or so away so i set off from the cave and headed towards it. Finding an inn that served roast beef, my favourite meal was a difficult task during the trek and finding one that served it midweek was even harder. The royal hotel in Ballantrae was like seeing a mirage. It was Tuesday and beef was still on the menu. And it was good.

After filling my belly i set off to cross the bridge and make my way along the banks. It was still quite early but gazing along the banks and into the horizon i couldn't see any suitable shelter for the night. Intermittent showers were giving me concern too. Finding a reasonable spot on the bank of the river I decided to take an early day and set up camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment