Monday 16 March 2015

14th - 16th March

14th March day 373

I slept particularly well on one of the leather bound sofas and was woken by an offering of bacon sandwiches and tea. After helping tim fix his wifi issues we sat and chatted. tim is quite a character, having travelled the world in a land cruiser taking four years he has now moved into the warehouse in Palnackie in the hope to launch an ecologically friendly and sustainable shipping company. An idealistic pipe dream, not for tim. With strong determination and a positive mental attitude that would fill an auditorium i believe he'd be able to move mountains if he put his mind to it.

It was nice to just simply be.

15th March day 374

It would have been nice if i could have taken more time out to listen to tims stories and visions but with such a long way to hike and with the English / Scottish border so close i had to peel myself away and concentrate on the challenge. The break had done me good though and I knew we would meet again someday.

After being dropped back at sandyhills and saying goodbye i headed off across the sand. I'd been warned by several people about the dangers of the area from rapid tides to quick sand. Taking heed of the warnings i decided to keep close to the rocks instead of taking a direct line across the bay.

Reaching a river i had to decide whether to unpack hoolley or look for a bridge. With the tide out and the risk of sinking up to my waist i decided to follow the river, afterall how long would i possibly have to  go before I could cross. Well lets just say this time it wasn't measured in minutes but in miles.

Leaving the sands i headed up on to marshes and began the long hike following the river hoping to either find a footbridge or stepping stones or even somewhere narrow enough for me to jump. It didn't happen. The marshes got marshier the reeds taller and well the river remained uncrossable.

I was beginning to regret my decision not to use the pack raft but i was also determined to find an alternative way to cross so i continued to follow the river. After battling my way through the grasses and as much as possible avoiding sinking in the marsh i reached a field that led to a track which in turn led to a bridge. Using the pack raft would most definitely have been quicker.

After the bridge i returned to the coast via the bird sanctuary at mersehead. The public footpath followed the coast all the way to southerness. The day despite my little distraction was going rather well.

From southerness i made my way to Carsethorn where i joined the road, again being warned by a local about quick sand. It was now beginning to get late so coming across a small wood i decided to stop.

16th March day 375

The mornings were definitely warming up. After climbing out of my sleeping bag and packing away i continued to follow the road. I was a fair way from the coast now and my goal for the day was to cross the bridge in Dumfries. Simply following the road was a doddle and by the afternoon i arrived. It was still a shock walking round the streets, so many people.  I  felt anonymous and insignificant.

No comments:

Post a Comment