Monday 2 March 2015

2nd March day 361


Theres something homely about the smell of my smooth oats with raspberries re hydrating first thing in the morning. I woke around 7:30 it was a bit chilly and overcast but I felt warm knowing that today i would hopefully reach Scotlands most southerly point.
After leaving the comfort of the woodland it was back to the blustery coastline. It hadn't seemed to be too windy while I packed away bur now unsheltered by the trees i realised that i would have to be extra careful up on the cliffs ahead.
Hiking around port logan i wondered if it would soon rain, the sky didn't look too clever at all. Leaving the port i headed up a track and through a farm. After clambering over a few fences and being especially careful with the ones that appeared to be electrified i found myself on top of the cliffs once more.
The morning was mostly spent hiking along the edge of grassy fields and occasionally venturing into small patches if wilderness. Because the wind was particularly strong today i hung back from the edge of the cliffs but all the time keeping the sea in sight.
Eventually i turned the corner as it were and instead of heading south i was once again heading east. The wind was finally at my back. You'd think this would be a good thing, having the wind helping you along,  but in this case it was a bit of a nightmare.  I was having to watch my step as i went, the wind was a little too strong which was adding extra force to my knees which at times wanted to buckle.
It was a fantastic feeling to see both coasts of the mull of Galloway with the lighthouse ahead. Up on the hill before me was an unusual looking structure, from a distance it looked like a giant cairn but as i got closer it became strikingly obvious it was some kind of lookout tower or observation post.
I had to take a closer look so i leftthe cliff edge and headed over. As i got closer i could see a set of stones inset spiralling to the top. Figuring the panoramic view from the top would be outstanding i took my pack off and began to climb. Getting about half way up,  the wind hammering down on me, i decided it would take a braver man than me to make it to top on a day like it was.
Looking back along the coast was spectacular the sunlight bringing the colours out in the rocks with the rough sea pounding against the foot of the cliffs. Now nearing the point i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw a cafe. I had to stop for a southern Scotland celebratory coffee.
Heading away from the cafe i made my way right to the very tip of the mull where the lighthouse sits before taking the coastal path which runs along about half way down in front of the cliffs. From here i could see a fair way along the east coast if Galloway i could also see across to the next peninsula I'd be tackling in a few days time. Eventually the path lowered down to a small bay which was a satisfying feelibg as the wind along the cliffs was particularly strong and at times i had visions of getting blown off and ending up in the sea.
After crossing the bay i once more had to head up onto the cliffs where i came across information board saying about st crenans cave, unfortunately i couldn't find the path mentioned on the board to go and investigate so i continued on my way. After a while the land began to get lower and flatter.
I could see a small village ahead but no trees. The sun was beginning to set now so instead of heading into the village I decided to build camp. Unfortunately there were no trees.
It was getting dark so i made an improvised ridge tent using my paddle shaft and a gate post. Wind was coming from both directions which meant my usual configuration wouldn't fully shelter me. under the tarp it was tight and difficult to move about but as i settled in i felt quite pleased that once again i had been able to camp without a tent even exposed ob the coast of Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment