Thursday 19 March 2015

18th March day 377

I'd slept particularly well in the farmhouse, having a comfortable bed, warmth and peace. I got myself dressed and joined john in the kitchen for a coffee and bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes. We chatted for a bit before i had to head off on my way. I didn't think I'd quite make it to gretna that day but i was determined to get as close as possible.

The coast was a fair hike fromthe farm so to expediate my journey i stuck to the road until i reached brow well. Brow well was visited by the famous Scottish poet rober burns, bob to his mates. He was advised to drink from the well because of its supposed healing qualities. A few days after he arrived home he died.

A footpath from the well took me back to the salt marshes at the mouth of the river I'd been following since the day before. Looking out across the water i was hoping to see the English coastline especially as i was so close now.  Unfortunately a heavy mist had descended on the area and i couldn't see much further than a couple of hundred yards out to sea.

The air was warming up and it certainly felt like the sun would eventually break through. Over the next few miles i stuck to the shore and hiked the salt marshes to Powfoot and then on to the next village, newbie i think. I was now able to pick up a river bank footpath which led me on to Annan where i stopped at the cafe royal for a burger and coke and to meet with a reporter and photographer. The interview lasted a couple of minutes, alison had supplied the reporter with everything they needed so they didn't feel like an interview was necessary.

Now passed the coastline and following the river esk i decided to keep to the road and attempt to reach Gretna, the Scottish town best known for its marriages over the anvil for eloping couples.

Arriving in Gretna was quite something, mixed feelings. I can't quite put my finger on it. Stopping literally yards from the border but not wanting to cross till the morning i sought out a few trees to camp amongst. It was harder than you might think. In the end i settled for a small clump of woodland next to the retail village. Yes i was by the road and no it was far from ideal but it was to be home for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment