Tuesday 3 March 2015

3rd March day 362


It was still a bit windy and a tad chilly but the sky was clear and blue. I was quite uncomfortable during the night, my muscles tightening up and my led in a draught that occasionally wafted up through the tarp.
There was quite a bite in the wind but approaching Drummore i was slightly sheltered and began to feel the warmth of the spring sun in my hands which had started to go numb. Arriving in the village i stopped at the cafe for a coffee before heading to the local stores to see if i could get some gas. Unfortunately though they didn't have any.
Heading back to the coast to join the coastal path i passed a sign warning that the area was prone to landslip. It wasn't kidding either. Hiking along the land had given way several times recently. I was glad I'd taken the risk though as i discovered several small and inconspicuous art pieces and several painted stones. In fact the art trail went all the way out from the village with some very interesting pieces.
Finding it difficult to get back to the shore i continued to follow the path onto the road and took the first opportunity i found to head down to the stony beach that i hoped would take me all the way to Sandhead.
While making my way along i could see a very familiar flag, a familiar red flag. These red flags signify mod training property and if they're flying then its not  a good idea to proceed. This flag was not flying and as long as the mod didn't decide to hoist it while i was strolling through the danger zone  i figured I'd be ok.
All wouldn't be ok, a little passed the flag on the stony beach i had a little slip and twisted my knee. There was a dull pain for a moment but i carried on regardless. I was heading towards Ardwell now and hoped I'd find another cafe or pub to get a drink and take a short break. Walking into the village and able to see the far end it was apparent the village somewhat lacked anywhere to get refreshments. There was a chandlery though. I was running short of gas and had managed to get replacement cannisters from hardware stores and chandlerys before. Sure enough they had one canister left, and at a reasonable price too.
Walking away from Ardwell along the road to give my knee a little break i noticed a silver van pull up ahead into a siding. As i got closer the window wound down and out popped a little red head. I'd briefly met Sarah  and her mum Jane at the cafe earlier. We began chatting about the challenge and their plans to travel india which seems to be coming quite a popular destination these days. As we chatted the sky darkened and it began to rain. Being offered a lift is always a lovely gesture but one i sadly had to decline.
With Jane and Sarah driving off waving as they passed me i found the coastal path once more and headed down towards the shore. The rain didn't last long though and by the time i reached Sandhead it had stopped completely. The tide was also a long way out which allowed me to cross the sandy bay to reach the days destination in good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment