Tuesday 31 March 2015

28th March day 387

When i woke I wondered what on earth was going on. The tent was being blown from side to side and the rain was hammering against the flysheet. This  was no spring shower. As i sat making my breakfast and morning coffee i pondered over my plans for the day. Having only just got the tent and still learning about how it goes up as well as how to put it away the challenge of packing up was somewhat daunting.

Siezing my chance when the rain suddenly stopped i jumped into action and began packing up. With everything but the tent stowed away in my pack i set about removing the pegs and and retrieving the poles. Now all that was left was the flysheet. Not so easy, even trying to fold it on the floor was a battle. At one point the wind caught it and filled like a parachute, i thought i would take off. Deciding that a clean packing was out of the question i stuffed the tent into its stuff sack. Unbelievably it fitted! Happy as larry i swapped my baseball cap for  my bridgedale beanie and headed for Millom where i knew I'd find a bridge to cross the river and start the days hike towards Barrow.

Following the sea defences, grassy banks forming dykes to reclaim agricultural land, i got my stomp on. As i made good progress even against the gusty winds a mist fell and obscured my views across the estuary. Gradually the wind died off and the day remained dry. Eventually the estuary narrowed considerably and i was finally able to see the shoreline I'd soon be following. It looked pretty much like most of the coast I'd already hiked although i never got bored.

Reaching a wide river i found a railway bridge to cross over and having seen two trains passing in opposite directions shortly before i decided to make a dash across using the workmen's pathways. Then i saw sense. Crossing railway bridges is stupid, you can't outrun a train. I took a step back and reassessed, the tide was out and the water not too deep, about waist deep. I took my boots, socks and trousers off and waded in. It was cold, very cold but quickly drying off on the other side and getting dressed i soon warmed up.

i continued to follow the shoreline around the top of the estuary, a mini Morecombe I'd been told. It was all unbelievably flat.

Having had the wind at my back all morning i was to spend the afternoon with it against me. The shores here were mostly salt marsh as before but as i looked out across to where I'd been that morning i realised the tides had receded revealing a huge expanse of sand. Sand that given half a chance would probably kill you. Fast tides and quick sand makes for a recipe for disaster.

After a bit of a struggle I began to realise i was actually making some progress. Ahead way off in the distance i could see what appeared to be a couple of tunnels set in to what i would consider the most interesting part of the dudduns estuary. Nearing the tunnels i began to summize their usage but on arriving i was in no doubt they were once kilns, probably lime kilns.

Sheltered from the wind i decided to take a short break and gazed back along the estuary I'd just walked. The mist was thinning out and i was able to now see quite some way. It took in a whole new light. It really was quite stunning. Way off on the horizon were the fells a mountainous backdrop to the scenery that framed the perfectly flat sandy bed that would later on be submerged as the winding channels filled with the sea water as the tide rose. I'd say it was natures poetry.

I then followed a headland round to a quainy beach before stopping in askom. Now looking at my satellite images i thought I'd be arriving in a town, i couldn't have been more wrong, askom is a mega village. There's no cafe but i did find an indian, chinese, fish n chips and a newsagent. Really thirsting for a coffee i grabbed an instant from the newsagents before carrying on.

Feeling refreshed and fueled with caffeine free coffe i headed back to the pier to rejoin the  beach. Then it starts raining, raining hard. Cold and wet and getting wetter with every step i followed the sandy beach around a headland.

On the far side i came across  a strange community of wooden buildings directly  opposite walney island.  I'm sure it would have been a nice view had the weather been better. Still grim i carried on following shoreline took and  refuge in pill box just to take a short break from the wind and rain.

I was getting closer to barrow now and spured on by the thought of sleeping inside at the Barrow lifeboat house i ignored the pains in my feet and legs and carried on following the shore. The tide was coming in now and looking ahead i knew i wouldn't be able to safely carry on  so i climbed onto the cliffs eventually ending  up in an old quarry that was now used by dirt bikes.

The Barrow lifeboat station was still about three miles away but passing a pizza hut i decided to stop and grab a bite to eat. Thin crust meat feast. Night was falling and it was getting dark. It took another hour hiking in the dark before i arrived at the station but the greeting was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment