Monday 24 November 2014

18th November

Once again I woke nice and early feeling refreshed and ready for a good hike. The weather seemed to be holding out too, with reasonably clear skies and the sun shining as best it could being so close to the horizon. I packed up my gear and tidied up the caravan before knocking on the cottage door to say goodbye to ann and rab. Before I set off though I was invited in for a quick breakfast,  the perfect way to start the day.

I guess it was about 10am by the time I left.  I passed the inn whichwas still closed and continued to follow the coast round. On the way I passed steve out walking his dog on a nearby beach which gave me the opportunity to say goodbye and thank him for his hospitality. Steve was quite forthcoming with a little advice and gave me directions to help me get a good start on the day.

From steve I headed up the hill ahead of us and peeled off once I spotted a faint trail steve had instructed me to look out for. I then was able to follow the trail for a few miles before it simply vanished. I was back to improvising again. It was simply a case of picking up sheep trails and dancing across rocks along by the water, nothing really that spectacular and no real adventure - well it was a bit. Thinking back and recalling the day it was quite uneventful,  sure my body was in pain, yes I was hungry but those were simply day to day feelings. As for the terrain it again was like most days hiking the coast. Hilly, rocky and stony. Finding myself traversing a rock face I did however stop to shoot a bit of video,  although quite high it was non technical and there were good solid hand and foot holds and even somewhere to place the camera. I guess I must have been getting a little bored bearing in mind that I had to traverse across to set up the camera, then traverse back to take my place before traversing again for the actual shot which on film lasts only a few seconds.

Eventually though I found myself near to a lovely beach, mostly stony, near to a small community of cottages dotted about. There didn't seem to be anyone living there and I would guess they were probably holiday homes only used during the summer.

The problem I had now though was quite simply a lack of time. With only a few hours of daylight and having to stop early meant I was climbing into my sleeping bag long before I was ready to stop for the day. Around 3pm I began looking for somewhere to stop,  there were no trees out on the peninsula which meant I wouldn't be sleeping under the tarp so I found a reasonable spot to pitch my coffin and hoped the weather would be kind to me in the morning when it came to packing up again. I must admit I had hoped to get further that day but hanging around chatting, like I do when I have the privilege and good fortune to meet nice people, had cost me several hours of light.

As the sun went down I was blessed with a beautiful sunset, I crawled into the tent and made myself dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment