Sunday 2 November 2014

27 - 28 October

27th October

I woke quite early feeling quite relaxed, the foam mattress being considerably more comfortable than lying on the floor and being able to stretch out my legs so much more comfortable than laying curled up in a ball trying to keep warm.

After a luxury shower I headed down to the kitchen to make myself a breakfast. Three eggs, four raters of bacon and toast. Since starting the trek one of the things I'd missed the most was cooking real food in a kitchen. It was still very early and the sun had yet to rise so I went back to the dorm to write up some of my blog. Still feeling tired I decided to make the most of the backpackers and put my head down for a quick 40 winks. When I woke a couple of hours later I felt quite unwell. I had severe abdominal pains, gut churning cramps. I wasn't sure if it was trapped wind or whether I'd not boiled my water properly the day before. As the morning progressed the pains got worse, had I eaten something that hadn't agreed with me. It was starting to feel like I'd ruptured something,  my appendix possibly. After about two hours of laying on the bunk reathing in pain I was beginning to wonder if I should call for a doctor. I staggered to the toilets and knelt on the floor, retching. Nothing came up. I had a sip of water and made my way back to the dorm to lay down once more.

It was early evening when I finally came round. I'd passed out on the bunk and the sun had set. Not feeling at all hungry I went to make myself a coffee where I was presented with a homemade sticky toffee pudding jess had made. Not wanting to seem impolite I took the bowl and ate the offering. It was really delicious. I was expecting to soon be back in the toilet but my stomach was settled. Whatever had been wrong must have sorted itself out.

Staying another night at the hostel was inevitable at this point,  I'd missed the checkout time regardless so I went back up to the dorm for a second night knowing that the following day I would once again be back on the trek, facing the elements and sleeping rough, a thought I must admit I wasn't particularly looking forward to.

28th October

Once again I woke nice and early,  my stomach was still feeling strained from the day before but I knew I couldn't stay another night. I'd have to brave up and make sure I made the most of the light and carry on with what I'd started some 8 months before. Once again I went through the morning ritual having a luxury shower and heading down to the kitchen to cook the last of the bacon and eggs.

Bidding everyone fair well I collected my pack, whivh was extremely heavy. I actually had trouble getting it off the ground let alone swinging it over my head and onto my back. How I managed to cram all the food, wet weather gear and spare clothes roto had given me I will quite frankly never know.

The sun was out and the skies looked clear. It was a very different day than when I'd arrived on the island. I headed back to the bridge and reluctantly began to cross. Although the island wasn't part of the original plan I'd been looking forward to tackling it. My friends were right though, you shouldn't change your plans during any expedition because thats when things go wrong. Sometimes seriously wrong.

Arriving back in kyle I headed to the superstore to get a few extras, although to be honest I didn't need them. I think it was just habit and not knowing where I'd find another shop along this part of the coast. It would be at least a week or two before I arrived at fort William.

Unable to put the additional food in my pack I had to carry a bag, a definite sign I now had too much to carry. From the store I made my way down to the harbour. Passing a hardware store I decided to get an extra canister of gas and picked up 2x3 metre ground sheet I figured I'd be able to use either as an improvised shelter or to pitch beneath sheltering the tent from the rain. My final stop in kyle would be at the harbour masters to collect the other supplies roto had left the week before. I went in but was quickly informed that they'd been given to the rnli shop for safe keeping. Thankfully the shop was open and sure enough there was a box waiting for me. Rummaging through the box I picked out more meals, coffee and sweets and forced them into my pack.  There was also a bivibag that roto had left. An extremely versatile piece of kit.

The pack was extremely heavy now and I had a huge problem getting it onto my back. It took two attempts. Hiking with such a load I knew would reduce my daily mileage and put additional strain on my body, especially my joints.

From the harbour I had one more parcel to collect, my boots. The post office was about four miles away down the loch. With the extra weight of the bag I found myself stopping every quarter of a mile for a breather and to readjust. The pack kept slipping from my hips and the weight shifting to my shoulders.

Arriving at the post office I immediately took off my pack and set it down out of the way for fear off knocking over a display or things off the shelves. Thankfully though my new boots had arrived. Dry feet. A huge boost to my depleted moral. Being of a similar design to my old boots but from a different manufacturer and half the price I had high hopes.

Eager to get a few more miles in that day I set off following the road along the loch,  occasionally finding small footpaths and trails leading through woodland away from the noise of the traffic. The weather was also on my side, the loch was calm and I wondered if I'd be able to use hoolley to cross. Worried about the weight and size of the pack and not feeling too confident about a safe crossing I decided against the idea and stuck to the days plan of keeping dry.

It was approaching 6pm when the light faded. I'd reached Dornie, its splendid castle lit by red red spotlights on a small island just off from the shore. A nearby wood seemed like a reasonable place to camp so I headed in and made myself at home. For dinner I decided to plough into one of the rations roto had given me, chicken and vegetable soup followed by a maple syrup thingy.

No comments:

Post a Comment