Friday 28 November 2014

28th November (day 267)

It was still dark the skies were clear i could see the stars clearly only I wasn't really able to fully appreciate the wonders of the cosmos,  I had a banging headache. Rooting around in my pack looking for some ibuprofen I remembered the package had been damaged a few days earlier and I'd had to dispose of them. I did however find the cocodamol roto had given me on skye. Checking the instructions attached by an elastic band and knowing they were painkillers I was relieved to see they contained paracetamol. Dropping two tablets it wasn't long before they began to take effect, a happy relief. 

It was around 8am when I finally woke to a clear sky, the sun was just beginning to rise. It was a chilly morning but with a fresh dry bite. The stream trickling passed the tarp was surprisingly calming. I boiled some water for breakfast, smooth oats with raspberries.  I'd run out of both coffee and hot chocolate but luckily still had a few tea bags. No milk though but at least it was some flavour.

I was just beginning to pack my kit away and collapse camp when a car pulled up and an elderly gentleman approached. He'd stopped off to see if I was ok. The hospitality of highlanders never ceases to amaze me. When I explained that I was on the challenge and that I'd stopped off the night before because it was getting dark he complimented me on my camp and was impressed by the use of the tarp. After he had left I continued to get myself ready for the days hike.

Rejoining the road, which was as close to the water as I could reasonably get without getting my feet wet, I continued on. It felt a little odd I'll admit after spending so much time traipsing across marshes and bogs, over hills and mountains but I wasn't going to complain.  It was nice to have a break from the adventure and I was looking forward to a few uneventful days, especially with the short days of winter.

The skies were completely clear, the sun was out but it wasn't too hot,  in fact the slight chill in the air was perfect and helped cool me as I lugged my pack along the road. I hadn't walked far when I was stopped at the driveway to a small house. Geoff  and his wife had read about the challenge in the northern times and had spotted me coming up the road. Geoff had come out to say hi and have a chat about what I was doing,  interested in where him and his wife could follow my progress. It was lovely gassing about some of my adventures and joking about the weather in Scotland.

I then continued on following the road until I came across the Nadurra visitors centre. I'd been messaged on Facebook and told that the centre did an amazing hot chocolate and was fortunate that the centre hadn't yet closed for the winter. I had to pop in and couldn't possibly pass by without trying one. The centre is part of a wildlife reserve and all manner of birds and wildlife often visited for the varied free food that had been put out for them. I  had hot chocolate with cream which I must admit was delicious, I'd highly recommend a visit to anyone who happened to be passing. Before I left I was given an oat and fruit slice to take with me which I later had for lunch.  Again it was delicious.

The road continued to follow the lochs shore over several hills. At times I wondered if it would ever end. As I hiked I began to think about what I would do once I got back to Southampton. Firstly I knew I'd need to get a job but didn't feel like I would necessarily go back to web design, well not full time anyway. I still wanted to promote the sites tony and I had developed and obviously keep the radio station broadcasting but I thought that maybe I should also learn a few things about sailing and maybe do some work with kids. I also felt that I'd have to start planning another challenge, but what.

I'd had several ideas since starting the trek. One thing I'd wanted to do was hike the Appalaichion Trail in America,  2600 miles across 14 states. This I'd wanted to do since completing the camino de santiago two years before. Another idea I'd had was to paddle board the length of the nile from source to sea. A real challenge,  a challenge that as far as I was aware nobody had ever even attempted. It sure was appealing.  Granted I'd have to look further into it and I'd have to get the planning right this time. It was certainly food for thought.

It was now getting late in the day and I only had a few more hours of light left. As I was quietly making my way still along the road a maroon van pulled up. It was the doctor I'd seen in Kilchoan. I thanked him again and confirmed that it appeared to have been my belt pressing on my pelvis that had caused me such discomfort for so many months. A mystery solved and well diagnosed by the doctor. We only had time for a brief chat as a camper van pulled up behind him on the narrow single road causing a bit of a traffic jam.

I was quite enjoying my day, an easy and relaxing day. The sun began to set so seeing a small waterfall I stopped to fill up my water bottles and a few miles later found a small clearing in a woodland by the lochs edge. After setting up the tarp and gathering firewood I settled in. The wood was slightly damp, which is to be expected at this time of year so I used the opportunity to use my new knife the voice of Scotland had sponsored to split the branches and reveal the dry cores. The knife made short work of the wood and it didn't take long to get the fire started and the water boiling so I could rehydrate a packet of chicken with noodles in a black bean sauce. As I sat warming myself by the fire I listened to the silence,  the crackle of the burning wood and the sound of an owl somewhere in the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment