Thursday 6 November 2014

4th November

Once again the caravan was chilly. I woke around the same time knowing that once again I would be tormented by the gorgeous views across the loch. I could have stayed there in bed, there was no urgency in crawling out from under the duvet except I simply couldn't. I needed to be active, I needed to do something, anything.

After getting dressed I made my way into the kitchen and again made a coffee and grabbed a breakfast bar. I looked out at the mountains across from me, the morning sunlight cast across the autumn colours of the hillside and glistening off the rocky peaks. It was torturous. It was a perfect day for hiking with very little wind, a few fluffy clouds in the sky and what's more, it wasn't raining.  Not a drop.

There was nothing for me to do except wait for my supplies to arrive and that wouldn't be until the afternoon at the earliest. I sat down at the table and pulled out the map, studying the contour lines, looking for possible places to paddle across, memorising the terrain.  I wouldn't be taking the map with me and as I have until now would be simply keeping the water to my right and tackling the terrain as I saw it, unaided except for the satellite images on my phone.

Time appeared to pass slowly so I picked up the book I had started reading and continued.  I knew I wouldn't finish it but I was determined to put a big dent in the story, at least read half of it. I wanted to know what happened to the two climbers, I wanted to analyse their journey, analyse their mistakes if any, determine whether or not they'd simply just run out of luck. Jamie and jamie were both experienced and well trained climbers yet they'd found themselves in a hard position unable to self rescue, one had died and the other, suffering hypothermia and severe frost bite had lost both hands and both feet. It waa a scenario that potentially I could find myself in if I wasn't careful. They had training and experience but what did I have. I had ray mears documentarys and hours spent watching survival programmes. Yes I thought I knew what I was doing and so far my personal knowledge and experience had seen me through.  I took chances though and knew that a simple mistake could end in tragedy.

Beginning to feel mortal I began to think about those that actually cared about me, the friends I had made and those interested in what I was attempting. I began to wonder if something was to happen what their reactions would be. I certainly didn't want anyone to mourn or grieve over me. I looked back over at knoydart, a notoriously isolated place. It was likely I'd be alone for the next few days, it was possible that I'd loose communication with everyone,  it was possible the weather could change for the worse, it was possible that something could go wrong.

Had anyone ever attempted to hike the coastline that beckoned me from across the still waters of the loch, the mountains reflecting on the surface. Sure people regularly went over the top and there were well trodden footpaths but I wasn't going over the top I was staying at the bottom. The slopes looked steep but not as steep as some I had tackled successfully along my journey. There were a couple of cliffs that needed to be negotiated but again I was quite used to that. There was just something about the place that made me look upon it with different eyes.

I went back to reading the book, following the story, placing myself alongside the two jamies as they fought to survive.  They had each other but I would be alone,  by myself. I'd have nobody to raise my spirits or keep an eye on me. I kept reading,  inspired by the determination of jamie andrew and his friend jamie fisher.

It was a perfect day for hiking with very little wind, a few fluffy clouds in the sky and what's more, it wasn't raining.  Not a drop. It was in fact too perfect but I could do nothing but wait.

Around 2pm or just past billy knocked on the door. He was holding the very familiar box I'd collected from many post offices around the coast over the past months.  My supplies had arrived. A huge grin appeared across my face and I reached excitedly into my pocket and pulled out my swiss army knife to slice through the tape that jo had sealed my rations in with. It was to  late for me to set off now but it meant I could get an early start in the morning. I opened up the box and lifted out the Jamaican ginger cake. Turning to billy I said with a smile "individually wrapped thousand calorie slice". As I rummaged through the packets I told billy about the contents and how when I first started jo would put little surprises in such as sweets and coffee. "I don't think she loves me anymore" I chuckled, still rummaging through the box hoping I'd stumble on a small stash of lollipops.

Billy had to get back to work but said he'd pop by later to wish me luck. I instantly began stuffing the blue packets of joy into the bottom of my pack. It was a tight squeeze but I managed it none the less keeping a meal out for the evening and a breakfast ready for the morning. Reading the labels on the packets I was cramming into the pack I noticed two were puddings, custard and berriew and custard and apple. It was something jo had started doing. "Ah custard!" There was nobody around to hear my delight but I said it out loud anyway. I then set about checking my gear and preparing for the adventure the following morning.

I could feel the excitement welling up inside me, the anticipation of the trek and the challenges I would face in the coming days. I was feeling less mortal, something I refer to as the superman syndrome. The feeling of invincibility.

I wasn't invincible, I knew that and the recent events had proven I was susceptible to the elements but a good feeling ran through my veins and I knew that at first light I would be swinging the pack on and setting off once more to face the challenges of the trek. I wasn't going to fail.

With everything packed, checked and double checked I began to relax a little.  I boiled some water for my evening meal and sat down at the table to once more look over the map.

Later that evening billy popped over. It was lovely chatting to him and I quite looked forward to it. It was getting late by the time he said goodnight and this time goodbye and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment