Wednesday 26 November 2014

26th November (day 265)

It was a lovely fresh cold winters morning. The skies were clearish and there was hardly a breeze. Although I felt like I wanted to lay in for another hour or so I dragged myself out of the coffin and packed up. I'd been thinking about what I could possibly get rid of to try and lighten the load but nothing sprung to mind.

I waited in the community centre, sipping a coffee and nibbling at some millionaire shortbread. 11:30 came and went, it wasn't until half an hour later I finally got to see the visiting doctor. After explaining what I was doing we got down to the business of checking me over. First we focussed on my feet, they were indeed rotting but the good news was that applying some cream, which I was given,  would help and the doc also prescribed a dose of tablets which I'd be able to collect from the next pharmacy when I passed one. I'd have to take the pills for four months to ensure no infection returned but I was happy with that. Next was the hip. Thankfully I know very little about human anatomy and as it turns out my hip is lower than I'd thought.  The problem lay in my pelvis,  after a good prodding the doctor told me that there didn't seem to be any physical problem and that it was most likely the waist belt on my heavy rucksack trapping a nerve. He suggested maybe adding extra padding,  such as a wooly sock in the area where I was feeling discomfort to ease the pressure.  I'll be honest I was dreading my appointment and had worried that I would have to turn a deaf ear to any advice the doctor could have given if it he'd suggested I couldn't go on. This was all good news and I felt quite relieved. To celebrate I thought I'd get another coffee before heading off to tackle the coast.

The coffee was hot and I'd got comfortable in Kilchoan but it was soon time to make a move, every hour that passed meant less light to hike with. Leaving the centre I had to follow the road away from Kilchoan,  whilst chatting to other patients while I waited I discovered that the section of coast from the village to ben hiant was currently closed to the public.  The land owner was renovating a castle that sat on the coastline and due to health and safety no unauthorised persons could pass through.  Fences had been erected to prevent any wanderers from accessing the land. I was a little disappointed however I had been told it was possible to get to the base of the mountain and make my way over to rejoin the coast on the far side.

It was a lovely day for walking, a gentle breeze and fairly clear skies all day. The hike away from the village was easy and a few miles along the road and passed the Castle I was able to leave the tarmac behind and head over the wild landscape towards the base of ben hiant. The sun was already beginning to set by the time I arrived and knowing that I would probably not find a good site to camp on the mountain I looked around for a spot sheltered between the undulating mounds near to a stream. I'd be slightly sheltered from the wind and have drinking water near by. With nowhere to tie the tarp to I opted for erecting the coffin and finished setting up camp just as the sky turned orange and pink. It was getting much colder in the evening now but I sat outside the tent with some rehydrated spagbol and watched the sun go down. Climbing into the coffin I felt excited once again,  a feeling that had faded during the past few weeks. Tomorrow I would start tge adventure once again, tomorrow I will climb a mountain and start a new chapter in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment