Sunday 12 April 2015

11th April day 401


Looking out from the boathouse it appeared to be a dreary start to the day. I'd recieved a message the night before warning that rain was on its way and it had appeared it had visited during the night. Thankfully though the skies were clearing up nicely as i left the boathouse and headed directly to flint castle almost directly opposite. It was a magnificent example of a medieval fortress and made some of the Scottish castles look a little lame in comparison.

After a quick look round i sought out the  coastal path that were to lead me along miles of dykes. There was a bit of wind as i walked but on the whole it was looking like the day would remain warm and dry. After a good hike, occasionally heading inland to navigate my way round creeks and streams i passed the duke of Lancaster funboat. The fun boat was a derelict liner that had made its way to dock near greenfield in order to be converted into a hotel with bar, nightclub and cinema. Unfortunately planning was never agreed so the boat has been left to decay with time. My inner explorer was looking for a way aboard but unfortunately nothing presented itself and i was left simply admiring the art work now sprayed on the hull.

My goal for the day was to pass places i couldn't pronounce, get back to the coast and make my way on to Rhyl a fair hike away. It was a good plan, simple and effective. I carried on and the miles seemed to merely pass me by. My pack was getting uncomfortable though, all the hiking had taken its toll on the straps and the padding was almost completely flat. The trail now ventured  slightly inland to avoid a port but soon returned to the coast near Talacre. As i ventured back followingthe markers i passed through an old industrial site, not much really remained, but began having  trouble breathing. It was a little concerning. After only a few hundred yards i found I'd have to keep stopping to catch my breath.

It was beginning to look like Rhyl would have to wait till the following day. Reaching the small village surrounded by beautiful nature reserves i decided to seek a quiet place to shelter and set up camp. Having lost my appetite i decided to try and get an early night to rest and recuperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment