Sunday 26 April 2015

21st - 22nd April


21st April day 411

It was a lovely morning, clear blue skies and not a cloud in sight. Being presented with a coffee and bacon sarnie was the perfect way to welcome the start of the day. Instead of continuing my trek from Cemaes bay where I'd left off the night before ruth was to take me to see the head of pr for the rnli to see if i could gain some assistance with helping reach my target.

All in all i believe the quick meeting went well and as I'd suspected the pr team weren't entirely aware that i was walking the coast for them, a serious lack of communication. Hopefully though that had now been rectified. Around 11am ruth came to retrieve me and after stopping off to get a few supplies i was taken back to Cemaes bay to continue the trek.

It was to be a gorgeous day although possibly a little on the warm side. I'm not complaining as I'd rather be too warm than wet and wind swept. The hike to the nuclear power station was extremely pleasant and easy going. It got less pleasurable as I jumped the perimeter fence of the station and made my way to the other side. Unhindered though i eventually picked up the coastal path once more along the way passing a curious sub terrainean room, a little on the small side. A little further on what I'd hazard a guess at was an old water mill.

The coastal path was clearly marked here and easy to follow. Away from the roads and villages i was again left with my own thoughts and curiosities of what lay in store for me the closer to the finish line i would get. At every opportunity i left the coastal path to hike the rocky shores but often found myself having to scramble up slopes and small cliffs to once again rejoin the footpaths.

Occasionally i stopped to admire the views and bask in the sun taking short breaks. Taking the heavy pack off was always welcome a chance to rest my shoulders and ease the pressure off my hips and back.

It didn't take long before i was to start heading along Angleseys west coast and gain my first glimpses of Holyhead mountain, the only mountain on holy island. Before i was to turn though i came upon three unusual tall constructions. I could see them several miles off and as i got closer i was astounded at how big they were. They stood towering over the landscape a little way down from the ruins of an old abbey. Out to sea i could see a couple of islands and the famous Skerrie lighthouse. The irish sea was charging from the north and the sea looked like it was a giant boiling pot. Notoriously dangerous. I wondered if the towers had been built as some kind of markers for sea farers. I didn't actually know but it seemed reasonable. Getting closer to the third structure i realised that it had nothing to do with the others. It was in fact a chimney, possibly a lime kiln.

The nuclear power station was now well out of sight and sat in a haze on the horizon i could see holy island. Gradually as i made my way south along Angleseys west coast the island became larger and closer. The terrain was still rugged and interesting but as i progressed the landscape began to level and the sun began to set. Crossing sandy beach the sky turned orange and eventually purple before night fell.

22nd April day 412

Once again it was a lovely sunny morning i packed up and emerged from my little hiding place only to discover that I'd lost the coastal path. Following a nearby road it wasn't long before I came upon the coastline once more. Heading down to the beach. The tide was out making for easy walking.

Approaching valley i hiked across the bay which was only a couple of inches deep saving me from having to hike a good four miles around. I'll be honest, with the good weather and the non challenging landscape i was beginning to feel like I was having a little time out from the trek. I was essentially merely going for a relaxing walk.

Crossing onto  holy island and seeing a sign for a burger van in the nature reserves car park i began to feel cravings for a delicious cheese burger. I  headed over to satisfy my cravings.

Blue was washing down the floor of his burger van when i stepped up, it nearly gave him a heart attack. "Are you adam?" He enquired. It took me quite by surprise. Blue had been following my progress through Facebook. Handing over a bacon and cheese burger and a coffee he told me  to find a place to hunker down while he finished up.

Dropping my pack and finding a small rock i tucked in to my burger. I didn't really want it to end it was exactly what I'd been salivating over since I'd seen the board up by the bridge. Blue soon popped out from the van for a chat. I was soon on my way again and as i hiked through the nature reserve i kept thinking about the delicious burger I'd enjoyed and the amazing views over the bay.

It didn't take long before i passed the old aluminium works, I'd seen the chimney stack the day before towering over the island. Ahead of me was holyhead. After negotiating the port i followed the sea front to the holyhead coastguard operations centre who are responsible for overseeing 900 miles of the coast I'd either already tackled or had yet to experience. I had to pop in and say hi and introduce myself especially seeing as I'd spoken to them on several occasions when crossing dangerous rivers and estuaries.  It was not only a great opportunity for me to put faces to the voices but also for me to see the operations centre and glean some local knowledge about the menai straight, the stretch of water that separates Anglesey from Wales.

Just along from the coastguards was the holyhead lifeboat station. The boat was moored up off a pontoon a fair way from the boathouse to make it easier to launch in an emergency. There was a good crowd present all enjoying the sun. It was mid afternoon when i arrived and i was planning on heading round holyhead mountain but a room had been arranged at a nearby hotel so i called it a day and decided to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment