Sunday 26 April 2015

25th April day 415

I was lucky enough to have packed up before the rain started. Following the estuary i quickly hiked to Aberffraw to cross the bridge where i proceeded to follow the estuary back to the coast to hike the sandy beach and reconnect with the Anglesey coastal path. This was to be my last day on the island so long as the weather didn't worsen and the conditions of the notorious  Menai straight were in my favour.

As i headed up onto the clifftops and continued to follow what resembled a path of sorts, well sheep trail to be more precise it became apparent that i had at some point left the official coastal path and had in fact been making it up as i went. I was however still on the coast and quite frankly thats all that mattered.

After climbing over walls and fences,  passing isolated beaches i eventually saw Newborough nudist beach, well thats what I'd been told not that i was expecting to see any naked bodies cavorting in poor weather. I'd been told the estuary was impassable due to dangerous currents and quick sand so i had no choice but to head inland once again to Malltraeth.

After following the estuary for a while and watching the tide come in i could see ahead I'd soon have no choice but to circumnavigate a rock wall. I made my way up into a field and headed for a dense woodland. Picking up a track i began to follow it spotting a red squirrel darting up a tree, a rare sighting in Britain these days. I hadn't realised it at the time but I'd found myself in the grounds of the Bodorgan estate which is where prince willy and kate had stayed while the prince was stationed at the raf base.

After negotiating the main gates to the estate i followed the main road until I came upon the illusive coastal path once more. I can only assume it must have been routed to bypass the estate. The path now took me back to the estuary and into the village of Malltraeth. This was to be the last village i would pass through before leaving the island of Anglesey and my last opportunity to contact ruth and arrange a meeting to collect the rations joanne had sent for me.

With no mobile signal i looked around for a cafe which i hoped I'd get wifi access. Thankfully spotting a sign to the Riverside cafe i decided to stop for a coffee and attempt to make contact.  Jane was an excellent artist and for many years had taught art from her cottage after a severe accident in which she broke her back she was unable to teach anymore and had decided instead to convert her garage into an arts and crafts cafe selling home made cakes and providing a workshop for visitors to enjoy making craft work and paintings.

It was also the gossip hub of the village and local community. We had a great natter sharing stories and gossip. I was able to contact alison who in return was able to phone ruth who was then able to drive down to me and drop off the familiar box.

Fully loaded with the supplies, fruit and one of janes delicious flap jacks i headed off. It was still a dreary and wet day and i hoped as i walked that the following day would be considerably better.

My plan was to camp on the edge of the forest on the other side of the estuary and wait for the low tide the following day at 11am. I'd missed the high tide and the next low tide wasn't till later that night. The conditions would have to be 100% and i could leave nothing to chance, timing would be critical.

Making my way along the beach following the forest a break in the clouds revealed the sun. It was a great sign. The sand was firm and i was despite carrying a heavy pack making great progress. So much so that when i reached the edge of the forest i decided to continue on to the point where i was hoping to cross with hoolley. It was further than i thought and as night fell i found myself having to use the flashing red beacon on the tip of the point to guide me to the nights camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment