Tuesday 14 April 2015

31st March - 1st April


31st March day 390

The trek had now deviated massively from how I'd expected it would go. Waking up once again indoors i began to reflect on the past years progress and the kindness of those I'd met along the way. When i left  Southampton i was prepared to finish the challenge no matter what hardships I'd have to endure and I'd truly had it rough for the first nine months. Accepting help from strangers was a difficult thing to do being such an independent individual as i. I suppose at the start i had undertaken the task of hiking Britain for selfish reasons, to prove to myself that i could do it alone but as i made progress i slowly realised that the trek wasn't just to satisfy myself but also it was for the trek supporters. It was selfish not to include others when assistance was offered. The trek was actually more than a simple hike around the coast it was a way for people to get involved with something less ordinary. It showed me that the country was filled with good people who had good intentions. It wasn't just me walking the coast i had many others with me in spirit.

It was blowing hard outside but the sun was shining and the rain had now stopped. Having hada good nights rest and fuelled by eggs, bacon, beans and toast sarah came to pick me up and drop me back at the  woodlands pub where we'd met so i could pick up where i had left off.

Thanking sarah for her generosity i headed through the village and down to the coast. I was a little disoriented at first and found it hard to navigate the maze of roads but eventually and with the help of Google earth i arrived at a carpark by the coast. I stopped briefly to take in the views and inhale the fresh sea air before turning my concentration to the task at hand. The tide was in which meant a quick hike on the bay was out of the question. Looking ahead i could just make out a faint trail leading up onto the clifftops. Pushing the overgrown fauna out of my way as i went in order to clear my path i followed the trail close to the edge. It was a fair drop from the top and one that would most certainly hurt should i have fallen. The wind was exceptionally strong so i had to be careful how I went about traversing the cliffs.

After a while the trail led me down to a small stony bay. There was no way further,  sheer cliff face plunging into the lapping waters. I was not going back i would have to head inland along the cliff face until i could find a way up. The bay was met by a muddy track which ran through a small wood, an old stone wall seperated them. On the wall i found a large sign.

Ignoring the no public right of way sign i climbed over the wall and into the woods. It  was clearly accessible. As i did so i began to mutter, "if god did make the earth and mankind inherited it then it was my god given right of way".

As i walked up the track along the cliff face i looked for a way back ontop of the cliffs. Reaching the end of the track i could see a few caravans parked up ahead and to my right a rather steep but manageable slope. I climbed to the top to be met with another old stone wall, this time it was covered in barbed wire. Carefully i made my way over and found another well trodden trail. It had to be the coastal path. Reports that morning I'd heard on the radio said the wind would be blowing a force 9, and it felt like it. I followed the path and eventually reaching the mouth of an estuary i found myself on the Lancashire coastal trail but not for long.

The path headed inland but a sign pointing to the eric Morecombe nature reserve  headed towards the marshes. I knew it was a gamble but after what I'd already gone through i figured I'd see if i could get through the nature reserve and pick up the coast again. It was an easy half kilometre to the eric Morecombe bird hide which was when i realised i could go no further.

During the half kilometre hike back i analysed where I'd gone wrong. I ignored the signs and i wasn't carrying a walkers map. There was nothing i could do about it and satisfied my appraisal was accurate and accepting the fact there was nothing I could do i eventually ended up where I'd started.

Picking up the coastal path I resigned myself to keeping the coastline in sight and wandered the roads closest dodging traffic as it presented itself. It was several miles before i was eventually able to return to the coast and its high winds.

Back wandering the edge of the salt marshes a misplaced footing and strong gust of wind almost caused a significant problem. Picking myself up off the muddy grass banks of a small creek i felt a tightening on my ankle followed by that recognisable sharp pain, a sprain. Despite being covered from head to foot in stinky marsh mud  i grabbed the tube of arnica alison had given me and applied the cream to my aching ankle.

With my boots strapped tightly i tentatively hobbled on to Morecombe. It was a gradual process but slowly the miles began to clock up. The wind was still incredibly strong with bouts of rain and hail hindering my progress . Eventually i arrived at the lifeboat station to be met by colin and kevin who treated me to a beer and burger before i settled in for the night to nurse my injuries.

1st April day 391

For me it was a surprisingly early start, 7am. I tended to usually allow my body to get as much rest as it needed waking only when it was ready. Today though i was to be treated by early bird kevin to a cooked breakfast before my bbc breakfast show interview at 8:40. With the interview done and dusted we went back to the hovercraft station to take a guided tour and to get a photo for the local press. The pressure for pr was slowly intensifying and i was beginning to wonder how i would be able to fit everything in.

Leaving the hovercraft station i hiked along the promenade against the wind towards the point before heading along the river back to lancaster, well that was the plan.

Sticking to the coast south of Morecombe is actually harder than you might think. An industrial port, power station and 4* caravan park simply get in the way. The solution was to cut across some wasteland and circumnavigate the obstructions.

After spending several hours navigating fences, following roads and footpaths and eventually finding myself at the river i was somewhat disappointed with my attempt at sticking to the coastline. In all honesty it was easier in Scotland. English trespass laws would be a hindrance and potentially extend my hike by many miles.

Now stood on the banks of the river I followed the maze of roads back towards Lancaster. The closer i got the busier and more built up it became. The weather also began to change, it started to get cold. Reaching into my pack i searched for my beanie, it wasn't there, it was gone.  My pack was gradually falling apart. The pocket I'd put my beanie in had now developed a sizeable hole. I  liked my beanie,  i really liked my beanie. There was nothing else for it but to turn about and see if i could find it. I had a fair idea where it might be. Having cut across the waste land I'd had to scramble through a few bushes, i was hoping the beanie had been plucked from the pocket and would be laying on the floor somewhere. It was to be a fair hike but in my mind, worth the effort.

Thankfully I found the beanie caught on a branch. Content and happy to be reunited with the beanie i turned about once more and headed back to lancaster. Although I'd hiked the mileage i hadn't covered the distance i was hoping. It was early evening by the time i reached the millennium bridge which carried me over the river so finding a pub i decided to stop for refreshments and a break before seeking shelter.

I was minding my own business while chatting with the locals when i was approached by a slightly anibriated irish lady. Eileen lived in Lancaster and was out with her good friend cath and ex step sister joy. After a few drinks Eileen offered me a spare room at her home in exchange for me cooking breakfast the following morning. A fair trade i thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment