Thursday 16 April 2015

16th April day 406

Traffic had been running along the nearby express way all night and as morning broke the traffic increased. Waking around 8am i knew i had a very long hike ahead of me and the challenge of staying on the coastline would be difficult. Breakfast was to consist of a chocolate muffin and a coffee.

The days hike was to be a simple hike mostly following the coastal path as there were very few places where I'd be able to get down to the coastline. As the day progressed the weather improved as did the views. Noticeably the air quality also got better. I began to wonder if the troubles I'd been experiencing with my breathing were in fact related to pollution.

Moving away from the noise and fumes of the road i was able to pick up the tranquility of the coast. Once again i was back where i felt comfortable. Have i changed since i started hiking 13 months ago. I am really beginning to think so. I was heading towards Bangor and hoping to reach Beaumaris on the isle of Anglesey by evening. The sun was scorching with a lovely light breeze and after having a great month and covering a huge distance my moral was most definitely high.

Seeing the spectacular medieval castle at Bangor ahead of me i knew that once again i had made excellent progress and the city wasn't too far away. The air was smelling cleaner here and each breath filled my lungs. The scenery was improving too, lush green woodlands with a backdrop of small mountains forming valleys. The castle was gradually getting larger the closer i got but being cut off by a narrow river its banks made of soft mud meant a crossing in hoolley would not be possible. I'd have to find another way round. Heading along the river i was confronted by a high stone wall. I could see a bridge though and knew that i would have to somehow get to it. I  only had one choice, to scale it and make my way there. Finding a reasonable place to climb i put my climbing skills in to action. When i first set off the previous year a climb such as this would have proved difficult especially with the weight of my pack but now i found it simple. Within seconds i was sat on top of the 8 foot wall staring down into what appeared to be someones garden. Removing the pack i dropped it down and followed myself. There was noone around and i figured that as long as i moved stealth like i wouldn't disturd anyone or bring attention to my presence.

Making my way across the garden i hopped over its fence and onto a track that led me to the bridge across the river and into the grounds of the castle. It would have been lovely to have had time to do a bit of sight seeing but unfortunately I was on a challenge to tackle the coast and not to be a tourist. Leaving the castle behind me i left the grounds following a road down towards bangor.

I was now back to the concrete, tarmac and hustle of civilisation. Picking up the coastal path again i made quick progress of bangor and headed towards the Menai Bridge, an old suspension bridge with alot of character. Leaving the mainland i crossed the Menai straight, Britain's second most dangerous stretch of water, to the isle of Anglesey.

Turning right off the bridge i followed the coastal path again which essentially followed the coastal road. After a couple of  miles i came across a slope leading down to the shore line. I began to make my way down just as another walker headed up. Mark was a local who enjoyed strolling along the shores between Menai Bridge and Beaumaris. As we passed each other mark commented how he'd never seen any walkers heading towards the shoreline on the way to Beaumaris. We continued to chat about the trek and what i should expect whilst making my way round Anglesey. Before going our seperate ways mark complimented me in quite an unusual way. "I've never met anyone as interesting as you before" i wasn't really sure how to react so i simply smiled and wished him the best.

Heading off along the shore, conscious that the tide was now coming in and that the high tide mark was above me, i found myself briefly distracted by a small opening in the rock face. On closer inspection i found a cave entrance.  It was most definitely man made. Entering in i followed the short tunnel til it forked. I explored the right tunnel first then went back to explore the left which went back into the rock much further. Smugglers had dug caves such as these to store salt smuggled in from Ireland.

I continued to follow the shore east towards Beaumaris, my legs were now beginning to hurt but i knew the village would only be a couple of miles further. Reaching the point i saw the b class rib hurtling out and along the straights. I was getting closer.  Sure enough hiking round the point i could see the flag flying above the boathouse.

As i headed across the Beaumaris bay towards the boathouse I  met will. Will although not an rnli crew member had been expecting me. It was an unexpected greeting. Reaching the boathouse I was again greeted by the crew who had been left  at the station during the exercise and given a coffee.

Once the crew returned it was all hands on deck to secure the rib onto its trailer before posing for a photo. Looking around i began to choose somewhere to camp but the crew had a surprise in store for me. They'd arranged a room for me at a local hotel just across from the boathouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment