Sunday 26 April 2015

18th April day 408

With clear blue skies i felt that summer had finally arrived. Taking it at a leisurely pace to fully enjoy the morning i slowly gathered myself together before setting off. I knew the day ahead would be hard but i was hoping it wouldn't be as exciting as the day before.

Leaving camp i crossed a couple of fields before spotting a possible passage through a thickly growing and densly packed band of shrubs. I wasn't sure if the trail would lead anywhere but if i didn't try I'd never know.

The trail had been heavily used by cattle and wound between the thickets so i felt sure it would take me somewhere. It certainly did, it took me to a dead end. With the option to either turn about or battle on i chose the latter.

After dragging my pack which was getting caught up on branches i found myself at the bottom of a small rocky wall. I could see a fence above me. The climb was simple but made incredibly difficult with my pack still getting hooked up. Pulling myself up using brute force i was able to free my pack and scramble up to the fence. It was barbed wire and not particularly stable. I did manage to climb over though without incident.

I was now looking ahead planning a route that would take me from one field to the next, preferably by using gates and not having to climb any fences. Entering into one field i was soon surrounded by some over friendly cows. It was a little disconcerting but i kept my kool knowing that if i panicked I'd most certainly startle the cattle and that wouldn't be good. Slowly and gradually i made my way across the field. I was being herded away from the gate i was heading for but seeing a gap in the hedge row and a lane beyond i decided to change my plans and make for safety by climbing over the fence and away from the cattle.

Safely on the other side of the fence i said goodbye to the four legged beef burgers and began to follow the lane. I knew it had to lead somewhere and no matter where i ended up i knew it was better than being in the field.

I didn't need to hike far before the lane met the Anglesey coastal path and i met a group of friends out on a days hike. Two of the group had spent the week walking anti clockwise around the island and they were now on their last leg. It was lovely having a bit of company as i walked and reliving my adventures through story. The path took us down from the hills to the shore, red wharf bay, a long stony beach followed by a small marsh and eventually a lovely sandy bay.

The Friends and i parted at the next pub and i continued along the beach to Benllech where i picked up the coastal path once again. Crossing in front of the cliffs simply wasn't safe enough but i was content with the views from above and made good progress to Moelfre.

Reaching Moelfre i proceeded to the lifeboat station, the newest in the institution and as yet not officially open. When I arrived i was met by Micheal a long serving crew member and second coxswain whos family had a long history with the rnli. Michaels uncle is somewhat of a celebrity in the circles and had been the first non celebrity to appear on this is your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment