Sunday 26 April 2015

24th April day 414

Having slept reasonably well on one of the benches in the crew room at the boathouse I was eager to make my way to silver bay on the southern tip of holy island. This would be where i was planning to leave holy island to rejoin Anglesey.

Outside the weather was far from the glorious sunny clear blue skies I'd enjoyed the days  previously. A thick heavy mist was shrouding the coast and it looked like it was threatening to rain. I left trearddur bay, a place name i still had trouble pronouncing although I'd managed to learn how to say Llandudno.

With the tide out and the sandy beach if the bay revealed i hiked in a straight line across to come up on a slipway on the far side and joined the coastal path a narrow trail that went around a small headland before ending up back at the road. The morning I'd find myself spending most of my time zig zagging along the coast walking a fair distance to literally end up back on the road. At times it was a little frustrating. The rain was holding back though which i was most definitely pleased about.

I was now beginning to get used to seeing walkers as i progressed seeking out the longest way possible around Britain's coastline and with the terrain becoming more level and less challenging i found i was clocking up the mileage quite quickly and soon arrived at the desolate and isolated beach of silver bay. It was only lunchtime, had i underestimated the distance. Quite frankly it was irrelevant i was there and it was far to early to stop.

I  knew where i wanted to cross the estuary so headed over. The tide was now coming in and the current flowing through the narrow channel was rapid. The wind was also picking up and whistling between the rocks on my side and the sand dunes across from me. Studying the waters i picked out a route and chose my get out. Although i wouldn't have to paddle far i proceeded to select two more exits should something go wrong. To be extra safe i called the guys I'd met at holyhead coastguard to check the tide times and let them know my intentions. A routine I'd recommend to any kayaker.

As i prepared hoolley for the brief crossing i kept my eye on the tide going over the plan in my head. Observing small pockets where submerged rocks caused micro eddies i knew that i was good to go. Pushing off i began to paddle and it wasn't long before I was riding the small wakes that eventually pushed me ashore. It was a perfectly executed paddle and i landed precisely where I'd intended. With hoolley repacked all be it a little sandy i set off along the beach in front of the mod airbase and home to the raf rescue service towards Rhosneigr.

Picking up the coastal path once more on the far side of the town i continued on stopping briefly at an ancient neolithic burial tomb which was in particularly good condition. A  little further along the coast i found myself leaving the coastal path, which strangely headed inland, in favour of a more rugged route towards the derelict remains of some kind of outpost probably second world war or possibly cold war reminisce.

The fences surrounding the installation were broken and rusting and no longer capable of stopping a small child let alone a determined trekker. I didn't stop to explore though I knew the Menai straight now wasn't too far away and I pushed on leaving the remains to end up trackside at the Anglesey racing circuit. I'm not sure if i was supposed to be there but unhindered i made my way round keeping the sea to my right.

It had been a while since I'd had to tackle any tall fences but ahead i was soon stopped in my tracks. It was high but no real competition. Hauling myself over a climbed the fence and descended towards a small bay with an unusually quaint  church built on a small island in the centre. My light was now beginning to fade and at was getting dark and although i wanted to take a closer look i decided to keep going. My toughest challenge now was to find water for breakfast and my evening meal and locate a secluded spot to camp.

I continued on for another couple of miles and thankfully came upon a small running stream with clear water where i was able to fill my bottles. A few more miles later and i found myself approaching Aberffraw. It was nearing 9pm. The days were certainly getting longer but i knew that night would soon fall. Following the estuary back towards the village and away from the sea i spotted a small sheltered enclosure, a secluded spot i could make my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment