Thursday 14 May 2015

12th May day 432

Although the day started with clear blue skies as i got myself ready and prepared myself for the hike ahead clouds rolled in. It was still very warm though and i anticipated another lovely hike along the coastal path. Cliff the lom of poppin sands rnli had offered to take my pack on to new port where i was planning to aim for that day.

My first challenge was to follow a lane up a steep slope to pick up the coastal path once more. Reaching a rather confusing sign post which pointed in all directions i struggled to work out which way i was supposed to head.  Then i realised i was no longer following the coastal signs I'd gotten used to over the previous week or so, i was now about to begin the Pembrokeshire coastal path, a very popular and highly regarded route along the Pembrokeshire coast.

Strong winds continued throughout the day and i couldn't help but wonder how much harder the hike would have been had i been carrying my pack. The coast here was mostly cliffs with the odd valley or ravine thrown in for good measure. The steep slopes and high clifftops in my opinion were more physically challenging than what I'd encountered in Scotland and i was expecting it to get more challenging the closer to the end of the challenge i became.

Some individuals may think that long distance hikes are boring and monotonous, this really isn't so. It's amazing what you come across if you just keep your eyes peeled. Whilst reaching the top of another steep climb along the path i noticed the tail end of what appeared to be a snake similar to a grass snake, it was in fact the arse end of a slow worm or what I've been led to believe some call a smooth snake. I tried to grab it but unfortunately it managed to wriggle free and into a gorse bush. This got me quite excited though because if there was one then there was the chance I'd find more, or at least one more.

The days hike had taken on a  secondary purpose, to find me another slow worm. Slow worms can grow to quite a size and are absolutely no relationship to a common earth worm. For a start they have a head which looks very much like a snake. I haven't seen many in my life but have on occasion handled them. With one eye taking in the views i kept the other glued to the ground in hope that I'd spot one.

As i continued to tackle the strong winds along the clifftops and the tiresome hikes up the increasingly steepening slopes seeking my slithery prey i spotted an old friend, common sorrel. Common sorrel is a wild plant often found growing on cliffs among long grass. Its quite distinctive and easy to identify by its little red flowers and cupped leaves. The leaves are edible without any preparation and taste like apple peel. Whilst hiking the east coast I'd become extremely fond of munching them as i walked. I simply couldn't resist having a nibble now either.

Continuing with my search to find a slow worm i was pleased although I suppose at the same time also disappointed when I came upon the tail of another. Unfortunately thats all there was the rest of the reptile was no longer attached to it. I was still hopeful though that I would eventually find another whole one eventually even if it wasn't that day.

By 4pm i was almost at Newport and oddly craving pizza. I hadn't brought anything to eat or drink with me and there was a serious lack of any type if facilities along that stretch of the coastal path. This was something i knew before setting off that morning and i was prepared knowing that I'd still be fine by the time I reached my destination.

My pack I hoped would be waiting for me at the golf club which was the first thing I'd encounter when i approached the town. Sure enough cliff had kindly left it with reception. Having collected my pack my focus was turned from hunting slow worms to hunting pizza. I crossed the bridge over the estuary and headed up into the rustic town centre to see what i could find. Pizza hut was obviously out of the question but I was sure I'd find somewhere. Sure enough in the centre of the  town i came across a sign. Pizza takeaway, awesome, open Wednesday to Saturday, not awesome it was Tuesday and I wasn't willing to hang  around 24 hours for pizza.

Although my freeze dried rations are lovely and i genuinely mean that, shameless plug for mountain house, i really wanted something that wasn't rehydrated. I wanted something that had been cooked. Stopping at the Golden lion i decided to order a deluxe burger and pint of orange juice and lemonade. A small celebration if you like.

After thoroughly enjoying dinner, juicy beef with bacon, cheese, onion and a side of fries i set off back towards the river to find a  quiet spot to camp among the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment