Friday 1 May 2015

28th - 30th April


28th April day 418

Leaving my pack behind to be taken on to Aberdaron i left the crew house to rejoin the coastal path. It was to be a 20 mile hike to catch up with the pack and would take me most of the day.

From golf course i followed the coastal path often heading down to the beaches or bouncing across the rocks where possible. As the day progressed it didn't seem like i was really covering the milage, the coastline was crinkly with lots of ins and outs and up and downs. Every corner i turned i could see more ahead.

Although it was a lovely sunny day the winds were strong and head on and even without my pack which ken had kindly offered to take ahead of me to Aberdaron i struggled to stay on my feet. Even before lunch time i felt knackered.

Eventually approaching the point i could see a small mountain I'd have to climb, i had to be near the turning point, my destination couldn't be much further. Stood at the bottom and without the weight of my pack and although I'd hiked over 14 miles already i decided to have a go at running up the steep slope. To my surprise i did it, i almost died once I'd stopped but the feeling of great achievement was awesome. I'd never have been able to do that before i left Southampton. I simply didn't believe in running anywhere. Catching my breath back i turned to see what lay ahead. It was two more summits. I couldn't believe it, i still had a fair hike before I'd reach the point.

The weather had held out all day which had been fantastic but the sky was darkening and heading towards me i could see rain falling hard from a black cloud. Either side was clear though and judging the wind direction i calculated that if i stopped where i was for a few minutes the localised down pour would simply pass me by and I'd be able to nip around behind it. Sure enough as i watched the rain cloud it soon passed me by and although beneath the cloud you could see everything getting drenched i only felt a few light dropplets on my face. A similar situation had happened to me while hiking round one of Scotlands peninsulas, i remembered it so vividly.

The coastline didn't seem to end, even making it to the top of the last peek i still had a long hike to get to the days final destination, Aberdaron. In fact i still had a fair hike to get to the point. I headed down but every time i thought my turning point was in grasp the land would drop down further out of sight.

Ultimately it did end eventually and i was able to pick up the coastal path again right on the cliff edge. I was really getting tired now and for sone weird inexplicable reason a craving for chips. A huge bowl of golden chips.

I kept going though, i wasn't willing to give up, i never did. Head down i carried on as did time. My mind blanked i ignored the aches and followed the coastal path where ever it took me. With Aberdaron now in sight i mustered strength from within although i was feeling exhausted.

My pack and post was waiting for me at a hotel in the village,  Hotel Gwesty Ty Newydd. The lovely guys at the hotel happily accepted the post which consisted of a new pack, 2 season sleeping bag and new zip off trousers. I was getting ready for the summer months ahead.

Garry the barman was awesome and had arranged a breakfast for me in the morning and was later to take me to a sheltered spot where i could camp undisturbed.

29th April day 419

As soon as I'd erected the tent the wind roared and the heavens opened. It took me several hours before i eventually drifted off to sleep. 7am came round all to quickly but knowing a full breakfast would be waiting i quickly packed up and headed back to the hotel.

It was a good start to the day and with another long hike ahead of me i hoped the weather would remain clear and dry. I was also counting on the wind being at my back. After visiting the post office to post my old kit back to joanne i followed the coastal path out of the village as i was unable to follow the coastline.

I hadn't hiked many miles before I came across a cave. I simply couldn't resist despite knowing i still had a very long day ahead of me. The cave turned out to be the entrance to an old manganese mine. Grabbing my head torch i headed in and followed the tunnel back as far as i could. At a junction i was faced with the decision to carry on or turn left. I decided to keep heading deeper but soon found a dead end. I turned back to explore the other tunnel. Again I followed it as far as possible but again it ended, this time at a black hole, a bottomless pit.

I could see some light to one side though so decided to scout around for another way in. It didn't take long before I discovered what i was looking for. Again i grabbed my head torch and headed in. This time  a short way down the tunnel it opened up into a huge cavern. Looking around i found rail tracks leading into a tunnel but water had seeped in and the further i went the deeper the water became so i turned back. I spent a fair amount of time exploring the mine before heading back to the surface and back to the trek.

Following the coastal path I hiked the clifftops which led me to a road and then through a farm. Crossing fields and a gorgeous woodland i was eventually guided towards hells mouth. A 3 mile beach. Unfortunately due to coastal erosion i was unable to get down to it immediately.

Fortune favours the brave, i thought so taking a little risk i eventually managed to climb down. As i set foot on the sand i felt the wind pick up and turned to see a dark rain cloud coming my way. Getting my wet weather gear on i slowed my pace as i had the day before to allow the shower to pass me by although i knew I'd catch the tail end.

Sure enough i missed the main downpour and the shower soon passed. As i reached the far end of the hells mouth i headed up to rejoin the coastal path and followed it along the cliff top trail.  It was a long hike with plenty of hills to climb. Again i was feeling tired and in need for a break but i continued anyway.

I'd walked mile upon mile but coming over the last hill and seeing abersoch ahead of me i headed down and sat on my pack to taje a break.  I was knackered and in front of me saw some fiddle head ferns. I was feeling hungry again so i nibbled on the fresh leaves.

By the time I'd hiked the last few miles along the beach to the boathouse it was 8:30pm. I'd had a full day again and covered another marathon  amount of miles.

30th April day 420

Leaving abersoch i was grateful for the short day i would have ahead of me. I left the station and headed down to the beach determined to stick on the shoreline the whole way and with low tide at 1pm i felt confident I'd be able to get round the bottom of the headland a couple of miles away. It was a lovely sunny morning with a nice calm breeze. I was still feeling tired but had the luxury of taking it a little easier than the days before.

Approaching the headland a little earlier than anticipated i had to clamber across the rocks that lay at the bottom of the cliffs below a disused quarry. I was tempted to go and explore the quarry but decided against it in favour of arriving at the Pwllheli lifeboat station early afternoon and then taking a rest to try and give my knees and back the afternoon off.

The beach from the quarry to the town was long and seemed to stretch on continuously but i soon hiked it and found the boathouse where i was able to meet the coxswain and mechanic. The boat was out on its trailer having the radar checked and as had become a custom i was offered a coffee although they had run out of biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment