Saturday 9 May 2015

7th - 9th May


7th may day 427
It was a sunny start to the day as i peered out across the bay. I packed away my kit and as i had the days before i followed the coastal path to Aberystwyth. There wasn't much of a challenge here and very little to really see. As for it being hard going it simply wasn't.
8th May day 428
It was a wet start to the day and with a thick mist shrouding the area the view was dire. Sticking to the coastal path i kept my head down and ploughed on.
The highlight of the day was to be the discovery of several kilns hidden away amongst the flora and fauna about half way through the day. It was like stumbling on to a set from tomb raider. The kilns were in fantastic condition considering and they also served as a good 5 minute shelter from the rain.
It was nearly early evening by the time I arrived in New quay wet and cold. Thankfully one of the trek followers, claire, was expecting me. She picked me up by the lifeboat station and took me back to hers where i was able to dry off and relax.
9th May day 429
Claire very kindly woke me with a coffee. Unlike the previous day it was sunny and the skies clear. Today was a bit special, the raf rescue helicopter was to perform excercises with the new quay lifeboat.  These were to be the last excercises the crew of the helicopter would perform before the service was closed down and handed over to a private company.
Dressed and washed we headed to the lifeboat station to see the  helicopter excercise. There was a full turn out with the crew and although I'd hoped to blag a seat on one of the boats there were none available. The excercises were performed in the harbour without a glitch and afterwards we were all invited back to the crew room for pie and chips.
That evening claire took me into town for a few too many drinks and after staggered back to hers which wasn't too far out of town where i quickly dropped off although the hangover I had the following morning was legendary.

No comments:

Post a Comment