Saturday 30 May 2015

30th May day 450

The long days and late nights were really beginning to take its toll on me. Waking around 9am i still felt extremely tired.  In fact i felt like i could sleep the whole day away.  I couldn't rest though i was on a mission i was on a schedule. I'd been given the rare opportunity to visit the place where the most successful lifeboat of the rnli fleet was originally developed and built. It was Atlantic college.
My rarions were now rapidly dwindling. Over the recent weeks in order to try and make what little i had left last I'd instructed joanne to only send half a weeks worth at a time. I was then attempting to subsidise my food intake with what ever i found along the way.  Such as chip butties. I'd had the last of my breakfast rations the day before which left me with two mains and a packet of custard. It would have to be custard. I also knew joanne only had half a weeks worth if freeze dried loveliness left back in Wareham  so my next supply drop would probably be my last and with a good 800 miles still to go I'd need a small miracle to help keep me going.
Putting all that aside i set off  to hike over the cliffs. Coming down on the other side i could see the tide was a fair way out and continuing to head out. A zigzag path led down to the shore below. Looking ahead into the distance i wondered how far I'd be able to get before either having to turn back or the tide cutting me off.
As i hiked along the shore over different layered bedrock i gazed at the cliffs. They were made up from hundreds of layers of thinnly compressed rock. Again I wish I knew more about geology but regardlessof that i still find it fascinating. I then began to notice fossilised shells and ammonites embedded in the rock. A few meters further and i found what looked like and eventually was confirmed,  a dinosaur footprint.
Quite literally the Atlantic college at st donats was around the corner.  The Atlantic college was where the ridged inflatable boat or RIB was first concieved and subsequently developed becoming the rnlis most successful lifeboat. The patent was bought by the rnli in 1974 for £1 however the cheque was never actually cashed.
The college hadn't had much more involvement with rib design for 30 years until now. They were currently developing a new jet powered rib which was being designed to hopefully provide assistance in tsunami disasters in Japan. The lightweight design based on the original protype would be light enough to be carried to incident zones and launched in the worse possible conditions even being sent out to sea as a tsunami wave approached. As before the project was being driven by the students.
It was a fascinating and welcome break from the trek but time was as always passing i soon had to be on my way heading for barry.
Coming across what i guess was a power station i was sure it wouldn't be long before i finally reached barry. It had been a long hike already and after the past few days i was beginning to feel tired as well as hungry. It has always been a problem eating enough food to sustain the distances I'd covered.
I hadn't been aware at the time but i was soon to reach a very special point in the challenge. Rhoose point which was wales most southerly point allbeit by only a few yards. Dusk was beginning to fall and with thick clouds rolling in the light began to fade. I was starting to feel really tired now but i continued on to barry where i was to seek out the penultimate welsh lifeboat station. Approaching barry i knew i would still have a good few more miles before i reached the port which was located on the far side of barry island. Thankfully the tide was out which allowed me to cross the causeway on the sand near the breakwater which saved at least a two mile detour.
It was gone 9pm when i eventually arrived at the station. I knew it was late and i wouldn't get to meet the crew or see the boat as it was moored out on a pontoon but unlike all the other stations i felt a little unwelcome and wasn't even offered a mug of coffee which i had gotten used to. Being directed to a public park i was left to pitch up in the rain. Tired and thirsty i settled in hoping the following day would at least be dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment