Saturday 2 May 2015

1st May day 421

Not wanting to get up i forced myself off the bench in the crew room and made breakfast and coffee. It was overcast outside and the wind had changed direction.  It would once again be against me.

Having left the boathouse i had to negotiate the marina taking me along the outskirts of the town and back to a long sweeping sandy beach which again stretched way off into the distance ending up with a small headland that this time i would have no choice but to clamber over.

At the top i did however pick up the coastal path which I'll be honest is considerably easier to hike on than sandy beaches. Keeping morale up and remaining determined on a daily basis is tough but somehow I've managed to muster the strength and determination from somewhere deep inside. It had been weeks since i had taken any time out and it was beginning to show. My body was exhausted and my mental strength dwindling.

I could now see Criccieth castle in the distance sat high in a rock at the end of another long beach. I carried on passing a holiday camp to my left occasionally coming upon outdoor excercise areas scattered along the clifftop.

After a mile or so i found a way down to the stony beach and headed towards the firmer shoreline near to the water.

A couple of miles short of Criccieth came upon a river i had been expecting all day. I'd wondered if hoolley would be needed to aid the crossing but as i drew nearer and with the tide out i decided to select a shallow section and simply walk across. Water did get into my boots as I'd slightly mis judged the depth. They may be waterproof but not if the water is above ankle height.

The village was now within spitting distance and i could more clearly see the castle towering above me, two welsh flags patriotically fluttering in the breeze. The lifeboat station wasn't much further, the last stop of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment