Tuesday 19 May 2015

18th May day 438

I woke to rain bouncing off the skylights and really didn't fancy heading out so i gradually got myself together and waited for a break in the weather. I wanted to get to deadmans bay by the evening a mere 12 miles away by the coastal path.

As soon as the rain stopped the skies cleared. It was still very windy out but i seized the opportunity to make tracks and left little haven in search of the coastal path once more. Climbing the hill away from the village i soon found a sign post directing me back to the cliff walk through a small picturesque footpath. Along the way i met a lady out on a walk to st brides. She'd once ridden from lands end to john o groats but what made her story that much more interesting was the fact she'd done it on a tandem. I had met many people on my journey who'd done the cycle route from one end of the country to the other but I'd never met anyone who'd done it on a bicycle made for two. Apparently the hardest part of the challenge was getting the bike back home once they'd reached their goal.

From the woods i was soon exposed to the wind again having had a lovely sheltered  hike among the trees. I could see a fair way ahead but my destination was still out of view. From here on i would be lucky to get any shelter from the elements but as long as it didn't rain i knew I'd be happy.

Making my way along the cliffs was considerably easier than the day before, considerably less uppy and downy. The weather stayed surprisingly consistent too although the strong winds did make it a little tough to stay on my feet at times. The views also remained stunning no matter how far i hiked.

By late afternoon i arrived at the farthest point overlooking skomer island and began heading for deadmans bay. As i got closer it became apparent I'd have to keep going as there simply wasn't anywhere to set up camp. I still had a few hours of light left so i continued to follow the coast in hope of finding somewhere sheltered from the wind further up.

As i made my way along the cliffs i could see dale less than quarter of a mile away, the light catching the walls of its castle. The far coast was so close and although it was tempting to cross over in seek of somewhere to camp i was determined to keep going on to st Anne's point a few miles ahead.

As the evening drew in and the sun gradually began to set the winds picked up its force battering me from side to side. It  was getting increasingly difficult to stand up straight  let alone walk in a straight line.

Seeing the old lighthouse ahead filled me with great satisfaction it would mean i was nearing the top of st Anne's point and i would soon be heading round to the far side of the peninsula where i was hoping to get shelter from the wind and find a suitable place to camp. Continuing to follow the path the light was fading fast. It was approaching 9:30pm and it had been a very long day. Considering i hadn't set off from little haven til almost midday I'd covered alot of miles. Something to be proud of. Finding a place to camp was still eluding me though.

Passing an old gunnery emplacement the strength of the wind dropped immensely but i was still exposed and wanted to find somewhere more suitable so I carried on for about another mile when i came across a field with very long grass. A small hedge row provided a little shelter. It was almost dark so i decided it would have to do. Quickly pitching up i settled in and decided to have a celebratory custard before getting to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment