Friday 10 October 2014

10th April 2014
Well it would seem that I had managed to camp in some kind of duck sin city or red light district! They were at it all night, quacking and flapping and well who knows what else! So anyway I managed a few hours sleep before packing up camp and headed off into the next big challenge of the trek, power would obviously be an issue but I knew that water would as well. I had plenty of food so felt reasonably comfortable. I hiked on along the coast until I came across yet another mod firing range. This time I wasn't taking any chances and followed the perimeter around. Eventually I found myself leaving the comfort of the nearby town and entering a very small village. I had to check Google earth regularly as I was now off the predetermined route. Now according to the maps there was a public right of way that would lead me back to the coast but when I arrived at the location the gate was closed. There was however a little yellow phone box attached to the fence so that you could call the range warden to gain access. I opened the little yellow door only to discover the phone had been removed leaving a couple of bare wires exposed. Hmm slight problem then, I considered building a fire and using smoke signals and then remembered that it was American Indians that had adopted that form of communication and decided that the British army would probably just call the fire brigade so I carried on following the fence and checking Google earth as I went.
It was a narrow path tucked up behind some houses that wound along the length of the range. Whilst dawdling along in the heat of a beautiful spring day I nearly trod on a small red and yellow bird. It was quite beautiful with its colourful feathers and was gazing up at me with a helpless look in its eye. So I stamped on it and squashed it. Not really lol I crouched down after a few moments to see if it needed help, I thought maybe it had damaged a wing or something but as I did it semi flapped its wings and darted into the hedge. It had definitely hurt itself. With nothing else for me to do I started moving on again with the distant sound of an ice cream van ringing its cheesy tune. Hmm ice cream  at the end of the path I met a woman walking her dogs so I let her know about the injured bird and she said she would look out for it and keep the dogs on their leashes until she had passed where I thought the bird would be hiding. She also said she would let her mother know just in case there was something she could do to help it. A lovely gesture I thought. Then I heard it again, taunting me, the sound of iced loveliness, that ice cream van was getting nearer! Right, it was hot and I wanted ice cream so I made the decision to wait near a cul-de-sac until it showed and then I would wave it down. Great plan I thought! The tones from its loud speaker were getting louder and then it appeared about 400 yards away from a different junction. It stopped briefly and then turned in the opposite direction and drove away. Frickin typical, I really wanted some ice relief now and my mobile ice magician had driven off. So near yet so far. Well that was it I was on a mission to find me a mr whippy with a 99 flake! I started to wonder in the direction of another small village when an elderly lady nurturing her garden stopped me and said "we gave a shelter in the village" I looked at her a little confused "it has a soup kitchen as well!" She continued. Wow I have obviously hit an all time low now! I chuckled a little lost for words. "I don't mean to be rude" she said sincerely. So I proceeded to explain the challenge and that I was raising money for two worthy charities and that I was on a mission to find myself an ice cream. After a short break and lovely chat the woman pointed me in the direction of the local newsagents informing me it was only about half a mile away. It was a beautiful day and my reward for this slight detour would be well deserved. When I got there I bought a cornetto and a calypo! Luckily there was an old pun right across the road and knowing I would soon be away from civilisation I decided to get a cold orange juice and lemonade as well as charge up my phone and backup battery.
Whilst sipping away at my drink I noticed they had some newspapers for patrons to read so I caught up on current affairs and read my stars. It was uncanny, one paper mentioned enjoying a tough challenge while the other mentioned getting new equipment. Maybe my new boots I thought! Well after I had taken far too long to drink a pint of orange juice and lemonade I decided it was time to set off. I knew from my map that getting back to the coast was impossible due to the army blowing things up so I headed for a small island that would allow me to stay as close to the coast as humanly possible without getting shot. I crossed the bridge onto it and immediately found an old military installation that would not only entertain me for an hour or so while I explored it but would also provide me with a temporary home for the night 


No comments:

Post a Comment