Friday 10 October 2014

20th May 2014
So after an evening chatting and drinking with Penny McAllister andTeresa Green I set up my tent in pennys garden and bedded down falling asleep almost immediately. The following morning I woke a little hung over but not too bad. I had a few coffees, packed up and it was time to hit the road.
Back on the beach I set off towards Withernsea. The sun was out and not a single cloud to be seen in any direction. The tide was out so I was able to walk along the hardened sand right by the quietly lapping waves.
It was a long walk but also an easy walk as I gazed up at the eroding cliffs wondering what the coast would look like ten years from now. It was several hours before I arrived at Hornsea and I could see the lifeboat station ahead so went straight there in hope that I would catch some of the guys there, unfortunately nobody was home so I sat down next to the station for a short break. Just as I was about to leave two young boys approached me, I think they thought I might work for the rnli as they handed me a smartphone they had found on the beach and asked if they could leave it with me. I took the phone and said I would try and find the owner. I checked the phones contact list and found a number for the owners mum so I rang it and was able to explain the phone had been handed in at the rnli station and that I would wait for someone to pick it up. A few minutes later a young girl turned up extremely happy to be getting her phone back. It was a great feeling being able to be part of a random act of kindess for a change instead of being the recipient. I often feel like I would like to be able to do something in return even though its never expected but this time I was able to do something for someone else and simple happy to make someone else smile. The young girl skipped up the street clutching the phone close to her shouting thankyou several times as she did.
I picked up my backpack to continue north ready to pitch up just outside town. I headed up onto the cliffs as the tide was coming in and found an old pill box of a design I hadn't seen before. I went in to investigate and for a moment considered sleeping inside until I saw the small plastic bag containing dog poo! Dog owners should be ashamed of them selves. I decided that this was not the most hygienic places to call hone so pitched the tent outside next to the track I haf walked along. I had arranged another interview with the BBC so I checked my phone signal by callingJøAnnë Peters and put the phone on charge using the backup battery and switched it over to flight mode in order to save the bayyety before going to bed.
The following morning I woke early, checked the phone and switched flight mode off. The signal indicator showed a good connection so I made breakfast, packed up the tent and sat on top of the bunker waiting for the call from the BBC. As the time for the interview came close I kept checking I was still connected and yes I had full bars on the signal indicator. It all looked good. Eventually the time passed and it had seemed that they had decided to drop the story so I decided to connect to the internet and check facebook. Thats when I realised something was wrong. I restarted the phone and sure enough it hadn't actually been registered to a network even though it said it had been. Texts came in the Internet started working and there was a voice mail from the BBC  I called them to explain but by this time it was too late I had missed the spot on the breakfast show. At least now I know not to trust the phone and in future if I was lucky enough to get another interview I would restart the phone to be sure I was registered with a network.
A little disappointed I set off along the cliffs periodically looking down at the waves washing up against the cliff face below. It was definitely a good call sleeping at the top! My destination for the day was going to be a town called Hornsea.
As I walked along the cliff top I kept coming across cracks indicating an imminent collapse so made sure I was well to the left and far enough away that if the clifg did collapse I would fall too. It was another gorgeous day and as the tide went out I looked for a safe way down to the sandy beach below. Eventually I came across a small track that almost reached the beach so I descended down the slope and climbed down the remaining few feet.
The tide was still going out and revealed a lovely wide shore line the cliffs to my left made from clay and dirt. It was a fair old walk to Mappleton the small village before Hornsea and the cliff face was enticing. Curiosity as always drawing me to the differing colours and interesting rocks and stones embedded in the clay. I wondered to myself if I would find a fossil or maybe the bones of a mammoth or early man. It wasn't long before a strange looking stone caught my eye. I pulled it out of the clay for a closer inspection and noticed a ringed indentation. I wasn't sure quite what I was holding so I placed it on a large rock and hit it with a large stone. It broke in two revealing a fossilised crustacean. I cleaned it up and put it in my pocket and set off towards Mappleton. At this point I couldn't see the village but I knew it was there somewhere. After about an hours walk the village came into view and I soon arrived and checked google earth to estimate the distance to Hornsea. It wasn't too far so after a short break i set off for Hornsea where I found a sheltered spot on the beach to camp up and have something to eat. As I settled in to a slumber I could hear the waves crashing a few meters away from the tent. I knew I would be ok but was quite surprised at how loud they were.


20th May 2014
I woke particularly early after a particularly uncomfortable and noisy nights sleep. Dragged my ass out of my sleeping bag and packed up the coffin. I didn't bother heating up a ration as I was in a town which doesn't happen that often. I headed off in search for a cashpoint to draw out my weekly £50 budget, I then went off to find a local store to replenish my supplies. I needed wet wipes, a pen (somehow I had lost the one I had been given by the boys at spurn point), some energy bars and a packet of rice. The rations I had received at the last resupply were seriously lacking the calories I required to do the milage I was covering and as I have already found out foraging for food although I could survive on them weren't enough to also allow me to cover the distances either. Over the past few days I was only managing around 1000 calories a day and really needed to consume 4500! I've been loosing weight too quickly and energy levels had been dropping.
My next requirement before heading off to Bridlington was to get a huge slap up breakfast and a charge on my phone, ipod and backup battery. Luckily for me I stumbled across the beach hut cafe. Not only were the girls fantastic but the breakfast was enormous and all locally sourced ingredients. Just what I needed 
Well the beach hut cafe is one pf those places that is hard to leave but time was getting on and although I wanted to try one of their enticing chocolate cakes I somehow managed to pull myself away and set off for the beach and started the days walk, my destination, Bridlington.
The journey from Hornsea to Bridlington is about 15 miles and if you're not careful and get the tide wrong you can end up cutoff with the sea pushing you in towards the cliff face. I'd timed it perfectly as the tide was still going out so would arrive at Bridlington with plenty of time to spare and could spend the day enjoying the views as I went.
The coast was beautiful and changed every few miles with clay cliffs tempting me to search for more fossils although I managed to resist somehow. Also along this stretch were plenty of ruined pill boxes and gun emplacements slowly sinking into the sand.
About half way along my trek I met a woman walking her dog and as I couldn't see any land marks I asked her how far Bridlington was, she estimated about 10 miles. I didn't think that was too accurate and figured I still had about 7 more miles to go.
I carried on passed a water pipe and on along the beach. Eventually I saw what looked like a town and port in tge fine sea mist ahead of me. Sure enough it was Bridlington and although I was hungry and thinking of heating up some rations I figured I would be able to treat myself when I arrived.

Walking up the steps onto the promenade and through the port town I spotted an Italian restaurant and figured I would further treat myself to a delicious pizza before continuing on through the town and finding somewhere to camp. The next part of the trek should be very different to what I have experienced so far as the landscape will now change dramatically!

No comments:

Post a Comment