Friday 10 October 2014

17th April 2014

Well thankfully today was fairly uneventful. I woke on the beach at the southern end of harwich collapsed camp and headed off to try and find a good place to cross over to Felixstowe. Along the way I came across two odd looking towers, I thought they were maybe used as old lookout towers but discovered when I arrived at them they were a pair of unique lighthouses that had been restored after a brief rest I carried on to the mouth of the port. The main shipping channel looked good but I wasn't so sure about the humongous cargo ships also using that channel. The sea was calm though and zero wind. I checked Google earth and found another route which would take me across the stour to Shotley gate, the plan being to then cross to Felixstowe from there. So I went to check the feasibility. The current was insanely fast and I wasn't that convinced about my choice so I stopped off at tge harwich rnli station to ask them what they thought and to introduce myself and the challenge. They suggested the main entrance to the port would probably be my best hope at high tide and contacted the port authority to check the state of the traffic. It was suggested that I should wait for high tide the following day and call them before setting off so they could monitor the traffic and keep an eye on me. All fair and good so I had my picture taken with the launch at the station and set off in search of a good place to camp. On the way I met a couple of lads practicing free running (parkour) and asked for a suggestion. They thought the old military installation would possibly be a good spot so I headed off in search of the nights accommodation. I had passed the place earlier in the day but hadn't gone in to investigate so this would be a great chance to explore. On finding the entrance used by local kids I went in and was amazed at the size of the place. Tunnels and bunkers, towers and gun emplacements everywhere. This was an urban explorers dream location. I spent a good hour or so clambering around going into subterranean shelters and exploring the maze of tunnels and structures. I eventually found a good spot to pitch made dinner and decided to see if I could find the slow puncture in my sleeping mat. Well I failed, I have no idea where it is so have decided I will have to invent a puncture proof mat when I get back home. I would make a fortune! Anyway I'm now just chilling and waiting for tomorrow hoping the weather and sea conditions will be in my favour for the crossing. I knew these couple of days would be difficult so fingers crossed all goes well and I land safely on the shores of Felixstowe 

No comments:

Post a Comment