Friday 10 October 2014

7th May 2014
It was obvious that the crossing was too dangerous so my only other option was to follow the river inland until I could find another way across albeit a better place to get the boat in or a bridge to cross. As I made my way along the river bank I came across a mum and daughter sat in their car enjoying the view. They waved hello so I went over to ask if they knew of a way to cross. Luckily they pointed out a bridge about a mile or so further along, they also offered me a cup of tea and the last of their fruit cake, which I must admit was a welcome offering greatfully recieved. After a short chat about the area and possible places to refill my hydration bladder I set off again on my journey. About half a mile later the same car pulled up alongside me and the daughter jumped out of the drivers side and around to the back of the car. They had been chatting after I left and wondered if I would like a couple of free range eggs they had just bought. What a lovely gesture  I carefully packed them into the top of my backpack and waved goodbye. I could now see the bridge which in itself was interesting as it turns 90° to allow boats to pass. It wasn't in operation when I crossed over but I bet it would be interesting to see it in action.
I had just entered Sutton bridge and saw a welcome sign above the door of the riverside pub. I popped in to get a charge and pint of orange juice and lemonade. The bar had some lovely characters most notably Charlie who apparently liked getting his wang out on Sundays. Luckily for me it was Saturday. I was about to head off to find home for the night whenDana Garkavaya and her partner sean came in. Dana asked about my backpack stating it looked heavy. Well that was enough to kickstart the conversation about the trek, dana bought me a pint and that was enough to kickstart Charlie who kept them coming. Nathan was behind the bar and disappeared into the kitchen to talk to ellie and that was enough to kickstart a chicken curry followed by hot chocolate fudge with icecream. The curry was delicious and the pudding divine. Suffice to say I was there for the duration and once again the last to leave  before I headed off though I was given some milk to make scrambled eggs and some bacon to accompany the eggs 
Nathan knew the area fairly well and suggested a spot to camp up for the night just passed the docks. I must admit I don't think I quite followed his directions fully but was a little drunk so I found where I thought Nathan had meant and settled in. In the morning I found myself amongst nettles and brambles. The air mattress had another puncture and now only stays inflated for about two hours. About 100 yards further down the road I actually found a lovely field nettle and bramble free and now believe that was where Nathan was sending me lol oh well!
Anyway my breakfast of scrambled eggs with bacon was an interesting task I only have the one pan so had to cook the bacon before making the scrambled eggs and heated them both together before eating but it was lovely and so was the weather. I also had two cups of coffee with milk! Life was good but my body hurt and I had a little hangover which meant I would start the day a little dehydrated. I wouldn't change a thing though.
I carried on with the trek, packing up camp and heading along the river bank back to the sea wall. I went to check my maps but hadn't realised my credit had expired the night before. I was trekking blind and had no way of letting anyone know I was alright.
There was nothing I could do about that so simply kept the sea to my right and followed the wall. Eventually I came across yet another mod bombing range. This time though it was safe to cross as the red flags weren't flying so I just kept going. The sea was quite a way off from the sea wall and all I could really see was the salt marshes and a few targets the airforce used as practice. About half way along I decided to seek shelter from the wind which was now picking up a bit. I was getting hungry and had about 2ltrs of water which is plenty. Unfortunately jusr as it came to the boil I accidentally knocked the pan off the stove and spilt it. I only had a litre left so the big decision was do I boil some more and risk not replacing it for the evening meal or do I skip a lunch break. Well I decided to use what I had left for lunch in the hope I would be able to find some water later.
Once again I came across a river and once again the tide was not in my favour. I figured there would be a bridge somewhere ahead so followed the river bank, frustrated as I knew if I could get in the water I could easily cross over. I was also out of water which just compounded things. Without a map to refer to and no idea when I would next find civilisation I soldiered on in hope.
Eventually I found a farm, the problem was there was a huge ditch full of water surrounded by barbed wire in my way, I had to carry on knowing water was close but simply inaccessible.
When it started getting dark I pitched up at the base of the river back just back from somw marshland. It was on a slight tilt and incredibly lumpy  I was hungry and had a terrible nights sleep.

The following morning I woke up, switched the phone on and was greeted by a call from Sharon, she was calling to see where I had got too as we had arranged to meet up for the day along with Christine Beirne andShannon Beirne. I had seen a sign saying Fosdyke stone quarry the day before so said I was probably near Fosdyke and would meet her there.

No comments:

Post a Comment