Friday 10 October 2014

29th May 2014
Woken up by the rain hitting the outer fly sheet I poked my head out of my little refuge to check the conditions, my head was in the clouds quite literally. Visibility was about 6 feet. It was an extremely eerie and isolated feeling. I lay back in my tent waiting for an opportunistic opportunity to jump into action and pack up and head off to Saltburn to collect the much needed supplies I was hoping would be waiting for me at the post office.
It was about an hour before the rain eased off and I was able to jump into action, packing things away as quickly as possible. The tent was wet, my boots were wet. To be frank everything was wet. I threw my backpack on my back and slowly made my descent down to Skinningrove. At the bottom I found shelter, my trousers ringing wet from the wet grasses and fauna growing along the slippery and muddy path. I looked around for signs of the path I was to take next when I spotted a small shop. I fancied a warm coffee so headed over. This brief stop in this quaint village allowed me to dry out a little, warm myself up and get a well received hot chocolate. I chatted with the shop keeper and left my website address and Facebook page with her so that they could follow my progress. As we chatted other locals popped in for their daily shopping each commenting about another charity walker that had visited the community. Apparently he was a disabled ex-serviceman who had planned to walk 2000 miles, sleeping rough and living off the land. He'd stayed in one of the locals gardens for a few days then vanished without a trace leaving all his gear, backpack, tent and everything. He was never seen again! Police even interviewed the locals but he was never found. They all wished me luck and said they'd follow the tracker on my phone and watch my Facebook posts with interest and hoped I wouldn't go the same way.
I set off, warm and dryish but certainly a little refreshed.
I headed back down to the beach and up a sandy track to a steep set of wooden steps about halfway up. When I reached the top I turned right once more and headed off along the cliffs. Visibility was now starting to improve but the rain was still spitting down and the wind undecided in its direction kept blowing me back and forth.
I can imagine in warmer, clearer conditions this walk would be stunning but getting wetter by the second I had very little opportunity to stop to take the views in.


29th May 2014
Ahead of me slightly off the path amongst fields and slightly obscured by the mist I could see the remains of a building. As I approached a stile I could see a path clearly cutting through a field of wheat and across a railway track leading to an unusual ruin. An information board giving details about the previous usage and providing information about iron extraction processes used in times long passed. Urban exploration opportunity. Even though I was cold and wet I figured it would be rude not to go and investigate further. I climbed the stile over the fence and across the sodden field towards the track and ultimately the discovery of more British history. I crossed the tracks watching out for any oncoming trains and looked around the outside of the building. Finding a doorway on the far side I entered. The inside was a single large room with a large hole at one end. I wanted to go down but it was to far to climb back out again so I decided against the idea. I leant down and saw daylight at the other end which meant another way in had been exposed somewhere. I headed back out to locate the breach to discover a small opening just big enough to crawl through. I entered the tunnel and walked along. Sure enough it came out at the opening inside the building. Unfortunately that was it as the tunnel it would hace joined had collapsed. I climbed back out and continued looking around the rest of the main building before heading back across the field and back to the path. As I did I spotted what looked like a giant metallic sculpture further along the clifftop. It was on route so I set off to take a closer look.
It was a huge iron or steel hoop with what looked like huge good luck charms hanging from it. I gazed through from both sides wondering if it had a purpose or what the history was behind the object. I then turned to head off back on my journey to Saltburn.
It wasn't long before I could see Saltburn and looking forward to receiving my much needed supplies. I descended the steep steps, carefully placing my feet so as not to slip. I reached the bottom and noticed an old building with the word "mortuary" above the door. I wanted to look inside but the doors were locked so I asked a passer by where the post office was.
Looking up at the hill Above me the helpfull passerby directed me to the post office. It may as well have been on the top if everest. The steep hillside was a bit of a climb, the price you pay for such inspiring views I guess. I got to the topn and found the town square, which wasn't a square but in fact two circles. Anyway I spotted the post office and went to see if my parcel had arrived. Unfortunately not, but the kind lady behind the counter said she would call if it turned up but thought it would probably be the following day. Possibly pitying this soaking hiker she gave me two chocolate bars to tide me over till the rations arrived and I headed next door to destinations the cyber cafe next door for a coffee, charge and opportunity to dry out.
I stayed there until it closed chatting to the customers and drinking coffee. Nearing closing time two elderly ladies came in, caddy and Sally. Both intrigued by the backpack we chatted about my adventures and the experiences yet to come. They treated me to a slice of lemon drizzle cake and a coffee.
Eventually it was closing time for the cafe and it was still raining so I prepared myself for a damp night hoping for better weather the following day and a nice surprise waiting for me at the post office. I headed for the park at the bottom of a ravine next to the town and searched for a reasonably sheltered place to set up camp, make a cup of tea and warm up in the shelter of the tent.


29th May 2014
I woke to the sound of a light breeze at the bottom of the valley in Saltburn. The rain had finally stopped and the river had calmed down. My tent was drying out, My socks were hanging between the outer fly and inner fly, still very damp. My boots were also damp but that wouldn't stop me. I had a couple of chocolate bars for breakfast packed everything away and headed back up the steep hill to the town where I hoped to collect my supplies from the post office later during the day. When I reached the summit I oriented myself and headed back to the cafe to grab a coffee. As I walked through the door I was greeted by the staff and told that sally, the elderly lady I had met the night before had called in and asked to treat me to a filling breakfast. It was a huge but lovely surprise, I had beans on toast a bacon roll and coffee which filled me up perfectly and set me up for the rest of the day. I charged my phone and waited for the post office to call letting me know my package had arrived.
At just after 1pm I had the call I had been waiting for, my supplies had arrived and I could come in to collect them. I left everything in the cafe and headed round to the post office which was literally next door. As I walked through the door the package was presented at the cashiers window, the usual box with the usual sticker on the front. Receiving the supplies always boosts moral and fills you with a joyful feeling. We chatted for a bit and I was told about the unusual cliff lifts and pier decorations. I went back to the cafe to open the box and see what surprises jo had filled it with and thevmeals I would be trying over the next 7 days or so. Once again I had to squeeze everything into the 65ltr backpack and once again I had to haul it onto my back before setting off to the beach and back on my way.
When I arrived at the edge I could see the wonderous antique lifts so headed for them to investigate further. Luckily they were running so I caught a quick ride to the pier. I climbed inand you could hear the water filling the tank below the carriage. Then it started to descend at a gradual and controlled rate. It was a marvelous piece of engineering and in extremely good condition considering it was 130 years old.
I got out at the bottom and chatted with the operators who waived the modest £1 fee in light of the fact I was supporting two worthy causes whilst attempting the challenge.
The pier was set directly opposite the lifts so I thought I would take a look at the annonimously hand knitted decorations that are displayed along the pier for the enjoyment of everyone who walks along it. I then headed off along the promenade spotting what looked like a banksy stencil art. I had to take a picture so that I could find out when I got home if it was done by the famous artist.
The surf was fairly intense along the shore front and as I passed the local surf shop I had to comment about it. We chatted for a bit but I had to make tracks as I wanted to make it passed Redcar by nightfall so that I could ensure I was in the right place ready for the rivers tees crossing the following day.
I stepped off the promenade and onto the beach, something I hadn't really done for a while. I walked along the hardened sand with muddy cliffs to my left and the sea to my right. The sound of breaking waves accompanying me as I hiked.
The tide was starting to come in now and I could see Redcar in the distance. I crossed over a water outlet and as I did I spotted an odd looking rock, it was another fossil, similar to the one I had wrapped up in tissue paper and stowed in my back pack. I then carried on the town getting closer with every step, the sea also getting closer with every step. I made it to the promenade just as the water started lapping at my feet. I looked back and could see how far the water had cone in and thought to my self how lucky the timing had worked out. If I'd left a few minutes later I would have found mysel having to climb a cliff to get back to dry land.
The metal works I was to head for were only a few miles away and clearly visible so after a brief stop I headed off along Redcars promenade towards them. The wind turbines were just off the coast and the closest ones I had seen so far on the journey around the coast.
The promenade was also decorated with interesting and also bizarre sculptures and art. Some were brightly coloured and others towered above you. Then I saw it. The only vertical pier in England and most probably the world. Darren King had said to me the day before this structure was a bone of contention and that I wouldn't miss it
He also said that I would have to take a photo. Well I was lost for words, it looked like a huge helter skelter and not at all what I was expecting. To say I liked it would mean I needed my head examining. I did what darren had asked and carried on my way.
Eventually the promenade ended and found myself back on the beach. The tide now receding, revealing a smooth hard sandy base for me to hike across. Two horse drawn chariots were being raced up and down as I plodded along looking ahead at the lighthouse and metal works.
When I came to the end I followed the shore round to where I would be crossing the next day, a smalk bay with a narrow beach. I followed it round and found the shortest point across to the other side where I sat on a make shift bench someone had constructed out of drift wood and bricks. I sat and watched the container ships being loaded and made a plan for the following days little trip across the busy mouth of the river tees. After a while I headed back inland a little way found a nice level and partially protected area and made camp looking forward to a tasty meal and a dry morning.


31st May 2014
After a particularly restless night camped up beside the steel works and ports of the tees with the constant horns, alarms and noise of loading cranes I woke to a dry day. My socks were fairly dry and my boots only partially damp. I heated up one of my latest rations, sausages, bacon and beans and sipped quite a nice 2 in 1 coffee sachet. I had a fairly lazy start to the day as I had to wait for the tide to go out before I made the crossing across the busy port entrance with the huge ships coming and going almost constantly. As 11am approached I packed up and headed for the get in I had picked out the evening before. To my surprise the water had receded much further than I had expected. I reassessed my options and located a new place to launch from quite a way from where I had intended. I headed off, clambering over the exposed rocks and down into a small sandy bay that had been revealed by the low tide. I unpacked hoolley and watched the ships going in and out of the rivers mouth, the wash from the ships creating quite large waves and breaks into shore where I was stood. I waited for the ideal time to make my move just moments after a ship had left the port and was heading out to sea.
Launching the pack raft was a bit of an effort as the water was quite shallow for quite a distance. Once deep enough to get a good stroke in I started paddling, all the time keeping my eyes open for more traffic and very aware that if a ship did come in they probably wouldn't see me in my little black boat.
The current was quite strong, and although the water seemed calm it was a tough paddle getting across the river to the sandy beach on the other side. I did make it safely across though and moments before the next large boat came in to port. Making any crossing in hoolley always gets the adrenaline going even a short one like this.
I dragged her out of the water and started packing her away when two gentlemen approached me, one with the most amazing moustache. We chatted for a while about the trek and what was to come as well as being able to appreciate what was around. All to often people go out for walks but they don't stop to look around, they simply keep their heads down and stomp on.
I then headed for Hartlepool along the perfect sandy beach and up onto the pier which had been blocked off by some metal fencing due to storm damage. My main problem being, I'd found myself the wrong side of the fence. The sides of the pier were steep and rocks had been covered with concrete to hold them in place. I carefully descended down to the beach below and continued towards the town ahead of me. When I got near to the end of the beach I headed up on to the promenade and continued on my way towards Hartlepool.
It was only a few miles away so didn't take very long before I was in my own personal hell once more. Navigating foreign towns and cities can be a right nightmare and Hartlepool is no exception! I saw a sign pointing to the town centre, it directed me to what looked like a dead end, the path simply finished and I found myself going down a grass track which eventually exited into a boat yard. I could see where I wanted to go but couldn't find a route to get me there. I stopped to ask a man I had seen holding himself up against a wall. He was very very drunk! After piecing together his instructions and trying to fill in the gaps I headed off away from where I wanted to be and towards Hartlepools town centre. There I spotted a retail park that had a car phone warehouse, the chain I had purchased my phone from 3 months earlier. This was my opportunity to fix the issues I'd been experiencing over the previous month or so.
John was superb and took the phone into his capable hands, removed the sd card that was storing my photos and initialised a factory reset. Together we set up my applications and installed Google drive so that I would be able to back up my precious photos should anything happen to the phone at a later date. He then directed me to a kfc that had free wifi so I could cache my next satellite images and start making backups. I bought myself a zinger meal and settled in configuring the phone and uploading the first months pictures.
After spending several hours recharging, uploading and configuring I set off with a better idea of how to get back on track. I followed the roads taking the right exit at the right roundabout and somehow ended up exactly where I'd wanted to be. I'd also stumbled across a sculpture of one of Britain's greatest cartoon characters, andy capp. It was then a simple case of keeping the sea to my right.
It was now quite late and very dark, the street lamps lighting the roads but not the sea front. I followed the promenade until it ended and headed up into some waste land where I fumbled around deciding whether or not to continue or to find a peaceful, level bit of ground to set up camp.
After about half an hour I came across a partially fenced area but it was too dark to see what it was fencing off so I stopped and located a grassy area, two eyes reflected by my head torch watching me, and made camp for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment