Friday 10 October 2014

4th April 2014
When I last left you I was chomping on rations with a side salad of dandelion leaves. They were delicious:)
I bedded down for the night knowing I had only enough water for a small cup of tea in the morning.
Next morning after a nice sleep I packed up camp leaving everything as I found it an stashed my bag in a bush taking my hydration bladder with me In search of water. I had several hours before I could make the crossing to the isle of sheppey so set off in search of water.
After about 20 mins walking I found a cottage with the lovely dot. A 78 year young lady who gladly assisted me with my needs, made me a cup of coffee accompanied by a plate of cakes and biscuits and insisted I had a shower before I left. I didn't think I smelt that bad! After a lovely chat I went back to collect the kit bag and set up Hoolley ready for her next crossing, but before I did dot handed me £10 as a donation to the charities I'm supporting.
When the time was right and the tide almost in Hoolley and I made a go for it and I started paddling across to the island. Along the way I saw two seals playing about 50 metres away. Although I really wanted to get closer I knew that every crossing I make could end in disaster so I kept going every so often glancing back to watch them. I finally lost sight of the two seals and focussed on a pebble beach across from me when to my surprise I was joined by some new friends literally reaching distance from the boat. The seald had come over to play. First on my right and then on my left. It Was a truly magical and certainly a once in a lifetime experience. Eventually they left me and we said our goodbyes as I carried on padding to my chosen portage.
Upon my arrival I discovered I had drifted with thr current and wasn't exactly where I had intended. Hey ho just meant a slightly longer trek around the island to Leysdown on sea. I packed Hoolley away praising her for another successful trip and hiked across farm land close to the shore.
The sun was setting as I arrived in Leysdown and needing a charge and a drink I stopped off at the fun pub owned by Christopher Prime. We chatted and exchanged yarns well passed closing time, but before I set off to find home for the night chris offered me the use of a bed above the bar. I had to decline and explained the rules of the trek so chris suggested I used his old horse box. I couldn't see a problem with that and graciously accepted. The next morning he got me breakfast and we talked about paddling around to sheerness instead of walking as it would be quicker. Unfortunately the sea was a little too rough and a mist had rolled in so I made a judgement call and decided to hike to minster where I continue could meet up with Bryan Hopkins and Vanessa Hopkins for another chat.
Bryan and ness had timed it just right and arrived at the car park near the lees promenade moments before I arrived so we headed off to the playa free house for some refreshments and a lovely chat.
It's always sad to say goodbye to everyone I meet on this challenge but I must always put one foot forward in order to find my next adventure.
After they had left I charged my phone and courtesy of bryan and ness I treated myself to a hearty sirloin steak and charged my phone. I met some lovely characters in the pub who arranged for me to camp in the beer garden for the night. The chef also prepared a bacon roll and beef wrap 
The following morning I woke around 8:30 and headed into the pub for breakfast. The owner was there and called the times guardian so that I could tell them about the trek and some of my more recent stories. Whilst waiting for the photographer and ultimately the tide I tuned into the local radio station sheppey fm. A great local radio station who had invited the local scout group into the studio the day before.
Around lunch time the photographer arrived and I had my photo shoot. It was quite bizarre and extremely good fun, getting me to pose with the staff of the playa as well as posing in front of the sea paddles and feet in hand.
As normal the tides wait for no man so I headed to sheerness ready to take on my next crossing, one I had dreaded the night before due to bad weather reports. It was quite a surprise to me to discover the conditions were actually favourable so I text ness to call the port authorities and gain permission to cross.
Ok so it was a little choppy but it was my best chance of leaving the island and carrying on with the challenge. I had to get the tides just right or I could end up out to sea!
Paddling in those conditions is hard work but Hoolley and I eventually made it across and portaged back on the mainland. What a buzz!
After packing her away and munching some much required calories I then continued along the coast where I stopped at a small bar and refilled my hydration pack. The locals suggested I kept close to the shore ad there was a live bomb disposal site there but it was safe as currently cows were grazing and the tide was out. I followed there instructions and safely made great headway crossing a few creeks at low tide and ending up her where I am now 

Next big crossing should be the thames. So lets see wgat happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment