Friday 10 October 2014

25th April 2014

It was hard work walking on the shingle and stoney beach but as the tide went out it revealed damp but compacted sand. Much easier on the feet and especially the tendons I started to make better progress. Eventually I saw the rnli station where my rations were waiting the thing now standing between me and my food was a small river. I stopped for a break and watched the current. Now the decision was to either break out Hoolley or find a bridge. I asked a local who pointed out a bridge about quarter of an hours walk away. My decision was made. It would take longer to get the boat ready, paddle across and then pack her away, so I headed off and crossed the bridge.
Upon arriving at the station I was greeted by chris, a local crew member who invited me in to take the weight off my feet, have a cuppa abd biscuit. He handed me the box of goodies and offered me the use of their shower to freshen up. A good shower is always welcome 
After a nice friendly break I had to set off. I headed for the town and decided to stop for a slap up meal at a restaurant called the boardwalk. It was ala carte and very delicious. But when I went to pay amy who was interested in what I was doing said that they would pick up the bill and handed me a handful of Southwold rock sweets for the journey. Well that was completely unexpected and a really lovely gesture.
Amy also suggested a wood a little way along the coast where I could camp up for the night so I headed off up the coast to locate the woods and settle in for the night.
It took me a while but eventually I came a across the first signs of devastation, cliff erosion was taking its toll on the local environment. A row of houses, once set back from the edge were now blocking my way. I found a route round them and carried on my way. As I continued I came across a sign warning me about fast flowing water and softg/quick sand. The light was starting to fade so I put on my head torch and carried on, keeping close to the more solid land. I could see the woods but couldn't find a way in so I carried on parallel hoping to find a way in. slowly the cliffs rose above me and it was getting darker , the stars were out and the cliffs higher.
After a while I noticed the debris of the high water mark where I was standing. I wouldn't be able to camp there for fear of being washed out to sea or drowning in my sleep when the tide eventually rose. I looked along the beach with my torch but couldn't see an end to the cliffs and the refuge of the woods above me. I carried on wondering how much time I had left before the sea was lapping at my feet I also wondered how much further I would need to walk before the cliffs came back down to meet the shore. 
A fallen tree lent against the sandy cliffs so I made the decision to climb it as far up as could then scramble to the top and into the forest. I had a full pack (24kg) which meant I hoped the tree would hold at least 100kg our combined weight. Luckily I made it safely to the top and headed in slightly from the cliff edge and found a place to camp. Whilst setting up I saw two green eyes staring at me from the forest, the light reflecting from my head torch. I guess it was a fox but they eventually disappeared and I settled in for the night.


25th April 2014
The following morning I climbed out of the canvas coffin and into a magical woods complete with bluebells, mystic fallen trees and the sun's ray penetrating the forest canopy. It was yet another glorious sunny day. I had breakfast and got myself ready for the days trek.
I exited the forest and followed the cliffs along until they descended back to the shore. It was peaceful with birds chirping away and the sea gently lapping the sand. As the cliffs rose once more I could see more devastation where the trees above had been claimed by the sea below. I paused for reflection before continuing on with my journey. Eventually I came across a bird sanctuary so I decided to stop for a second breakfast. I needed to get my weight back up so didn't feel one bit guilty.
After a while I headed back on my way along the beach until I arrived at Kessingland.
Kessingland is a small town where I met Emma Catling, an outdoor activities student that worked at a small cafe. I stopped for yet another breakfast and some coffee and chatted about her and my adventures. I also discovered that due to the changing coastline, where some beaches were being washed away Kessingland was actually getting larger with shingle being deposited there. Controversially this could be the most easterly point in great Britain although not officially.
After the short break I had to makw moves as I wanted to get to Lowestoft before sundown as it was officially the most easterly point in the great Britain.
Hiking from Kessingland to Lowestoft was a weird feeling. It was very much like a desert. Flat, sandy and very baron. Again I stopped for reflection and took a panoramic photo as I'd recently discovered how to use the function on my phone. I then carried on looking to the horizon for some sign of civilisation.
Eventually lowestoft became visible so I set off in search of a pub to charge my phone. Vicky Waters worked behind the bar, served me an orange and lemonade and happily charged the phone. A Scottish gentleman took interest in my pack a a discussion ensued about the trek. It turns out that I will be walking a little under the width of the earth! Thanks vicky  she'd googled it! Well before I left vicky gave me some fruit pastels to munch on the way.
I went through Lowestoft and passed the statue to commemorate the crews of the rnli and into a small industrial estate where Britain's most easterly point is officially marked by a monument on the promenade. A milestone achieved, photos taken and fruit pastels munched. I continued on my quest to circumnavigate the coast passing passed woods and pill boxes until it looked like I would run out of shelter. I followed a path up the cliffs to the top and searched for a nice place to camp hoping to catch a nice sunrise the following morning.


25th April 2014

I woke up nice and early to get a good view of the eagerly anticipated sun rise from my ideal cliff top camp site only to be greeted by rain and fog. To say I was disappointed is a little bit of an understatement. I climbed back in the tent and heated up some water for breakfast and a cup of tea. Hoping it would clear up a bit when the sun came up higher I waited inside. The first sign the rain stopped I clambered out and packed everything away and made my descent down the cliff slope and onto the beach.
The fog was pretty heavy and it was still spitting but I simply had to put up with it and reminded myself that I had been lucky with the weather so far and shouldn't complain. I carried along the beach until I came across a warning notice next to an open gate. Basically it said the path was open and if a cliff decided to collapse on top of you, tough it was your decision to go for it. I like challenges like this and keeping one eye on the cliff and the other on the monstrous waves crashing againgst the sea wall I proceeded, loving every step I took. Eventually I reached a point where the breaks were huge so I had to stop and try to photograph the phenomena. I stood camera at hand and started taking a series of photos with another function I had discovered on the phone. Whilst I was checking one series of pictures the mother of all waves came crashing down and in an instance I was soaked from head to foot. I guess its just the price you pay for such a task. I'd had enough of getting wet now so I carried on till there was no more path to follow and climbed some steps to the top of the cliffs. Coastal erosion had rendered this part of the coast inaccessible and I had no choice but to head slightly in land and follow the road until I could find another way back and pick up the trek again.
Eventually I found a public footpath that took me in the general direction of the coast and followed it. As I did I hit a fork in the path. One way said it was inaccessible due to erosion so I took the other which led me into a caravan park. I checked Google earth and noticed a path led me back to the shore but when I arrived I was surprised to find it to no longer existed.
There were fields running along the edge of the caravan park so I followed there perimeters until I eventually found a way down. When I got to the bottom I turned left and followed what was left of a promenade.
Severe weather damage had destroyed the wooden sea defenses and workmen were attempting to fix them. As I approached one of the workmen informed me that I couldn't get passed but when I explained the trek he accompanied me passed the heavy machinery and asked if he could take a photo just in case I became famous. Now this wasn't the first time I have been asked to have my photo taken. Vicky Waters asked the same question the day before lol obviously I obliged the request
I then carried on down the beach until I came to a promenade. The rain had now stopped and I was starting to dry out. I took a short break before heading to greater Yarmouth. I had wanted to use Hoolley to cross the port entrance but what with the fog and harsh sea conditions decided not to even attempt it. To be honest I doubt I would have even made it passed the breaking waves.
I stopped a passer by and asked how far the bridge was and the quickest way there. They informed me that it was about 5 miles away which sucked as I knew I would have to come back along the other side 5 miles in order to get back to the trek. Well I had no choice so I set off for the bridge, crossed it and then navigated the industrial site on the other side until I got back to the beach. On the way I realised I had now left Suffolk and was now in Norfolk. Its amazing how quickly the counties are passing by.
When I hit the coast again I turned left and followed the beach along passed the Yarmouth pleasure beach and civilisation until I found a nicw spot to camp. Whilst setting up the tent I noticed the local army cadets playing hide and see so watched them with some amusement.
Well the fog hasn't lifted all day and as I lay here semi protected by a small dune I wish for better weather tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment