Friday 10 October 2014

5th April 2014
So yesterday was just one of those days! Woke in the morning in lovely surroundings had breakfast and packed the tent away only to subsequently accidentally break one of the poles  these tents simply don't seem to be able to handle constant use. I then headed along the sea front away from the comfort of my campsite. Its really flat along the thames and really nothing much to see or explore. Saying that though I did come across two fields with abandoned ww2 barracks. I believe. The first was guarded by some extremely inquisitive cows. After leading them away I was able to take a closer look. Sure enough they were abandoned although most of the buildings were being occupied by plants, shrubs and trees. The second site was not accessible from where I was as there was a small river passing between us. So I continued on. A little further I could see a complex of old bunkers but a polite sign asked that the sheep not be disturbed due to lambing in progress. I happly obliged at let the sheep do what was required in peace.
Eventually I reached the pre-planned crossing point everything looked good. The water was calm, the weather was overcast but there was very little wind. The tide was high and everything perfect except my portage could not be seen. Instead all I could see was a building site and enormous cranes. I could not go any further because of a working quarry blocking my path so I sat down to re-evaluate. Eventually I decided my best bet was to head for cliffe, a small village I had spotted on Google earth.
Although I wasn't happy to head inland I am grateful that when I arrived I was able to chat with the scouts of the 2nd cliffe scout group. I pumped up Hoolley and shared one of my ration meals  it was quite strange as I hadn't done anything like this on the trek before but I think they enjoyed it:)
Well after scouts I headed towards Gravesend but was constantly having to turn back as all routes I took lead me back...Eventually I had to give up hope and took solice in the entrance of a bird sanctuary.
I didn't sleep well at all and am slowly falling asleep as write thin


No comments:

Post a Comment