Friday 10 October 2014

15th May 2014
So I was camped up in some lovely woods on the banks of the River Humber, I'd made myself a spoon from a fallen branch and had gone to bed quite content with my achievement. I woke the following morning to the birds chirping away a sweet melody and the sun shining through the cracks in the leafy canopy. I wasn't far from the humber bridge and was looking forward to getting a closer look. I headed off along the wall following the river as I did I thought I would check my messages, to my surprise and for the first time in a while I found a high speed connection. I must have been picking it up from hull just across the river from me.
As I read through the comments and caught up on my private messages I found one from rob, the kind gentleman who had bought me the burger king back in Grimsby. He had contacted BBC radio Humberside and bbc radio solent, both of which wanted to pick up my story of the challenge. This was simply amazing as I had tried a few times before I had left and not had a response. I'd known it would possibly take a couple of months or more before they would be interested. I gave bbc radio Humberside a quick call and arranged to call them back once I had managed to get a charge on my phone. My power was rapidly running out.
As I continued along the wall occasionally stopping to see what I would be coming up against in the days to come on the other side of the river I met two ladies who were accompanied by a dog. We stopped and chatted for a bit and they explained that the dog wasn't theirs but that it had joined them near a farm a bit further up. As we said our goodbyes the dog brought me a stick and put it by my feet. I picked it up and threw it. The dog brought it back. The two ladies had already set off again but the dog hadn't followed so it would seem I had a new companion. I continued on my way throwing the stick every time the dog brought it back to me, as we approached the farm I'm guessing the dog lived at it pealed off and disappeared.
I carried on and headed for barrow,navigating the small docks and passing through farm land until I noticed a sign outside a free house saying they did coffee. I popped in and started charging my phone. Once I had a half decent charge I switched over from flight mode as soon as I did I had several calls. One from claire at bbc radio Humberside on the newsdesk organising material for the following days breakfast show she was lovely and particularly interested in the spoon I had made as she had seen it on my Facebook page, she was also very interested in the random acts of kindness I had received so far. I had another call from lou at bbc radio solent who wanted a live interview at 5pm that evening and the last call was from rob. Rob was checking to see if it was alright to carry on helping out by calling more stations and newspapers ahead of me. He had surpassed legendary status in my eyes and set a whole new level of kindness.
After the call with rob I checked Google earth to find a good campsite to pitch up on so that I could arrange for reporter david Harrison to meet me the following morning and waited for the call from lou at bbc radio solent. 5pm quickly came round and before I knew what was going on I was live on air and chatting about the trip, my adventures and random acts of kindness. I could have chatted with lou for hours her chuckles contagious when I explained about some of the bizzarre experiences I'd had. At the end of the interview she said she thought I was mad which to be honest wasn't the first time I'd heard that and we arranged to keep in touch every couple of weeks throughout the trek. I then had to head off to find jome for the night near barton right next to the bridge.
When arranging the meet with claire from bbc radio Humberside I had picked out what looked like a wooded area, it turns out it was a beautiful nature reserve reclaimed from an old industrial estate. Its nice seeing these developments and reclamation of land for recreation and nature. I walked around the man made lake which was well established now and pitched up.
To make sure I didn't over sleep I set my alarm on the phone and for the first time on the trek left it switched on over night hoping the battery had enough a charge. As I settled down I realised I had pitched up not to far from a field of cows who every so often mooed really loudly, almost like they were right next door. This went on through the night and no matter how many times I shouted steak they continued. Eventually I managed to drop of but was woken early by the sound of cars crossing the bridge.
The skies were clear and the sun shining bright onto my tent in this picture perfect location. I got up made a cup of tea and packed my home away once again, ready for my interview with david at 8am.
I made way back through the reserve and headed for the car park I had suggested would be a good place to meet and easy to find.
David was a young lad and very intetested in extreme marathons so was naturally interested in this challenge. We headed up to bridge alongside the river and recorded the interview that would be sent to the studio. At the end of the interview he offered a random act of kindness which was to carry my bag for me as we walked across the humber bridge out of Lincolnshire and into Yorkshire. How could I refuse! He put my backpack on and we set off looking for the pathway onto the bridge. My maps were a little misleading and we ended up climbing ove a couple of barbed wired fences and across a couple of small fields to find the path and ultimately the way onto the bridge. It was a great introduction for david into what I was now very used to along the challenge. We finally made our way up the ramp and onto the bridge and across it stopping half way to take in the views and discuss whether it was possible to jump off and survive. I was tempted to find out but managed to keep my feet firmly on the walkway as we passed over the river.when we reached the far side david handed me back my pack commenting on how lighr he now felt. We said goodbye and I carried on to Hessle to collect my much needed rations and grab a coffee, a top up charge and to use the free wifi offered by the cafe to plan the next few days of the trek. I could see from the satellite images I would have a few small challenges negotiating hull and the various docks and ports before arriving at the coast once more.


No comments:

Post a Comment