Friday 10 October 2014

3rd April 2014
So there I was, exhausted and hungry. I had been told there was a good cafe in Reculver and it was approaching 8.30 so hopefully it would be open. I arrived at the cafe just as a car pulled up so I plonked my bag down and removed my boots to air my feet and treat my blister. From around the corner appeared Elwyn Morris, a very unique individual. "oh my god, look at that. Somebody get him a bowl to put his feet in" he disappeared and brought out a small bowl with warm water in. The verbal abuse continued "whats that smell" he announced. Well I can give as good as I get, I replied "are you sure your cheese hasn't gone off!" Elwyn owned the CafeReculver HerneBay, a right character! He brought out a breakfast and kept the coffees flowing as we chatted and laughed. A friend for life! I had arranged to meet BryanHopkins and his wife Vanessa Hopkins who had received a supply parcel for me. What would they think when they turned, I wasn't sure. It was lovely meeting bryan and ness who had also included some sandwiches and breakfast bars. After a while I had to leave the cafe and bid fairwell to elwyn his beautiful daughter and lovely partner. As it turns out elwyn, like myself was a lord. We'd both bought our titles online for £25. We saluted each other and I bid fairwell to the peasants and headed off to complete the 36 hour challenge. I kept walking late into the night in search of somewhere to pitch up for the night. I had now been hiking for 39 hours and had reached Whitstable. I sat down on the porch of a beach hut where I started to fall asleep. That was it I was beat but I had successfully completed the challenge so I unpacked my sleeping bag and simply laid out and went to sleep.
Luckily it was a mild and dry night and when I woke I felt refreshed. It was a great nights sleep  time to get up, pack away my sleeping bag and boil up some water for a freeze dried breakfast.
I was now heading west I headed off to faversham ready for my next crossing. On the way I stopped at the sportsman pub where they were actually filming a cooking program. My intention was to rehydrate and fill my hydration bladder. After quite a lengthy chat with the owner I forgot about my water and headed off into the wild knowing I would have to wait the night until the tides were right so I could cross to the isle of sheppey. I had enough water for one meal and two cups of tea. I pulled out a sweet n sour chicken ration pack added some chilli flakes and gathered dandelion leaves for a side dish salad.

To be continued. ..

No comments:

Post a Comment