Friday 10 October 2014

17th April 2014

So after a good night's sleep I was eager to catch the 11am high tide and paddle across to harwich. I set off towards the beach at the far end of naze point. The wind was quite high and I was a little nervous as I approached the shore. As I stood looking out at sea and across to the beach opposite that I was hoping to land on I had to make a decision to either go for it or wait till the next day to go. The wind was coming in directly towards me and the sea was particularly choppy. I gave the coastguard a quick call to check weather and sea conditions. They confirmed my apprehensive feelings towards the crossing as the wind was coming from the north and at about 6mph. I knew I wouldn't be able to paddle against it and that I would also be facing a treacherous attempt if I did decide to go. I let them know that i would hold back till the following day, so I set up camp and took a days break which was needed as I had had quite a week and not had a day off in nearly 3 weeks. I took a rest in the tent, the sun shining down on me and wind blowing the fly sheet vigorously. Later in the afternoon I set off to find water to sustain me for another day and bought myself some pie and chips. I then headed back to camp which was situated amongst a shallow dune and rested some more hoping the following day would be more favourable.

No comments:

Post a Comment