Friday 10 October 2014

21st April 2014
So I had just been taken across the river deben so I followed it to the coast where I had to turn left keeping the sea to my right and then the wind hit me full force head on. Great! A combination of loose shingles and a strong wind. Oh well I'd had lovely weather for most of the trek so far.
I was heading towards Bawdsey and I had been told about a secret underground bunker the day before. I eventually saw an old security fence above me from the beach so started looking for a way up the cliff to take a closer look. Raf Bawdsey was used during the second world war as a research and development site for radar. Later during the cold war of the 80's nato had acquired the site and converted it into a nuclear missile detection base so finding the bunker would truly be an awesome find especially for an urban explorer like myself. I chambered to the top of the cliffs and sure enough the fence had been breached and there was no longer a military presence. I wandered around the base for a short while peeking into some of the buildings and radar stations. There were still concreted areas where land to air missiles had been located. Eventually I stumbled on an old generator building with an interesting sign informing workers that an entrance was to be sealed, permanently. That was a shame, I knew this would have previously led down into the bunker and it had most definitely been sealed. I then carried on to see what else I could find in an adjoining room. The floors were partially missing and a little unstable when I noticed a small hole just large enough to fit a person so I went over to take a closer look. I took my head torch out, crouched down and shone it into the void. Much to my surprise I could hear voices, was I imagining it? I listened again and could hear a voice saying "theres somebody up there". I shouted down "are you some urbexers?" To which a voice replied "yeah, if ya like".

I had found a way down into this top secret bunker. I climbed in and onto the top of a series of metal stairs leading down into the darkness. I made my way down the stairs and met up with two urban explorers who had spent 3.5 hrs exploring and photographing the subterranean abyss. They had visited many locations around the area searching for this illusive treasure and I had merely stumbled upon it. Happy days. They were just on their way out but I was just getting started 

No comments:

Post a Comment