Friday 10 October 2014

8th May 2014
Thankfully Fosdyke wasn't too far from where I had pitched up the night before. After about 30 mins hike I arrived at the bridge crossing the river and into Fosdyke. Just up from the bridge there is a lovely little cafe, and apparently thats pretty much all the town has to offer other than the pub across the road from the cafe. I got a coffee while I waited for the girls to come find me.
It wasn't long before Sharon Marie Butcher, Christine and Shannon Beirneturned up and treated me to a full English.  which was well received I might add.
The next thing I knew my bag was in the back of the car and I was being whisked away to a town I would be visiting in a couple of days time, Skegness. A taste of what was to come you might say.
First off was a pib for a pint or two and a charge on my phone. Then it was some store that stocked everything from souvenirs to weapons and adult toys. Very bizzarre. A qiick call in to an amusement arcade to play the 2p machines and dance on the dancing game. Then another pub to download my maps from Fosdyke to Skegness followed by a picnic and a trip to the pleasure beach with its stomach churning waltzer, bone cracking twister and insanely funny roller coaster.
Before I knew it we were heading back to Fosdyke to drop me off ready to continue my trek the following day. Pn the way we stopped off in boston to take a photo of the famous church you can see from miles away. Having the day off in such a random way was actually really nice and relaxing and I felt it was an acceptable way to take a break from the daily struggles endured by the constant survival situations I usually found myself in. The girls felt bad about leaving me in the cold but I assured them I would find a nice place to sleep and carry on with the journey the following day refreshed.
The following morning I woke early and headed off along the river bank and towards the sea once more, turning left once I found the sea wall and salt marshes. It was a lovely day with very little wind and I made reasonable progress on the grass tracks but once again I hit a river. This time fortune was kind of on my side. It was high tide and I was able to get Hoolley out and gingerly walk her, fully loaded down to the water. Getting in wasn't too bad but getting out wasn't so graceful. The crossing only took about 30 seconds as the river wasn't very wide but setting up and putting Hoolley away still took about 35 mins lol
It was worth it as my alternative route would have taken me all the way into Boston, across three bridges and back to the salt marshes. A huge round trip that would have taken about a day to do.
On the other bank was a memorial to the pilgrim fathers (info can be found on the website) I had spotted this place of interest when planning the trek originally and hadn't realised I had come across it. Obviously I took a picture before setting off along the wall for yet another day looking at salt marshes, I was really starting to miss the sea and the sound of the waves lapping the shore. After a few hours I came across anothet strange monument that had been erected to celebrate the reclamation of land from the sea so once again I stopped and took a photo as a reminder.

Well noy much else really happened after that, I followed the wall gazing out at the marshes or across to the farm land thinking how flat Lincolnshire was until I found yet another mod bombing range lol I didn't realise we had so many. It wad starting to get dark and the wind was picking up so o set up camp and found some old logs and branches to make a windbreak before climbing into my sleeping bag and slipping off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment