Friday 10 October 2014

21st May 2014
So I left Bridlington and followed the promenade around the harbour and off towards sewerby the light gradually falling into darkness. I had just one question on my mind "was the coast below the cliffs tidal?"
Yes it was!
I headed up the steps from the beach onto the cliffs above my way only lit by the dim glow of my fading headtorch into the unknown landscape of the Yorkshire clifftop coastline.
I couldn't really describe sewerby to you as all the lights were out and I was right by the cliffs and not near the town at all. I passed by their cricket grounds and onto the clifftop trail. Every now and then slipping into potholes I couldn't see and carefully down slopes and steps to have to then climb back up the other side. I eventually found some level ground with nice thick grass so pitched the tent happy with my progress and content with a full belly.
The next morning the sun was out and a cool breeze in the air. I packed up and had a couple of energy bars to get me going. I took a moment to look back at Bridlington in the distance a snapped a couple of pics for posterity before setting off for pastures new.
There were a fair few walkers and a retired gentleman training for fell running with his dog. I eventually found a clifftop pill box with a great view over the sea and Bridlington to its right. I couldn't resist so I dropped my pack and went inside to see what the soldiers would have seen during the war. Well I was surprised to find not only a spectacular view but also an abandoned dome tent fully erected complete with duvet. I'd almost expected someone to be living in there or possibly a body but it was empty and hadn't looked like anyone had been there for a while.
I carried on along the path stopping regularly to appreciate the changing scenery and take in the blooming floral patches and lush green fauna.
I eventually found myself near to Flamborough and as I headed down the steps towards the lifeboat station one of the locals I had chatted to earlier was coming up. They'd spoken to Anthony at the local wildlife information centres and arranged a coffee for me. "Its just up the hill" he said. This hill was one of those hills that kept going no matter how far up you had walked. His wife shouting from behind "are we there yet, are we there yet?"
Now until now I had been used to fairly flat terrain, shingle, stones and sand. Hills, steps and slopes were new to me and I was now using different sets of muscles. And I could feel it. Well, I eventually made it to the top and up to the centre where I met Anthony and had the well deserved coffee. He was a lovely chap, we chatted for a bit before his class of School children turned up for there field trip. And what a lovely day they had picked. We said our goodbyes and I headed back down the hill towards the coast before then heading up an infinitely long set of steps back on to the cliff top.
As I got to the top I was surprised that I wasn't rolling on the floor gasping for air and reathing in pain clutching my legs and rubbing my shoulders. Truth is I felt reasonably fine, a little warm yes but that was it. The pack, although heavy hadn't hindered me at all!
Keeping the sea and cliff top to my right I carried on, the Flamborough lighthouse peering above the undulating fields and getting closer with every step. Then the view smacked me in the eyes. It was gorgeous. I had to stop to take it all in before carrying on, it just got better with every step. A bay below slowly emerged and the desire to explore tugging at my heart strings. I carried on to discover an even larger bay and although I thought I would need a rope to get down was pleased to find a very long set of steps. Although I hadn't travelled as far as I had planned I was determined to take a closer look and even more determined to explore areas tourists wouldn't ever see. An adventure was a foot and I was gonna make sure I enjoyed every moment of it.

To be continued. ..

No comments:

Post a Comment